Of Light and Night | Teen Ink

Of Light and Night

September 8, 2023
By HannaHan20071229 GOLD, Xiamen, Other
HannaHan20071229 GOLD, Xiamen, Other
19 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
——Oscar Wilde


The night grew deeper. Darkness surrounded me. Passing through an archway, a shadow suddenly appeared before me, startling me. I glanced back at him and then continued walking towards the field. Rain was about to descend.

I hastened my steps, treading lightly, afraid to disrupt the night's silence. Nearby scenery melted into ethereal shadows, shrouded in a faint mist, with only me walking alone in the darkness.

Half eager, half expectant.

Upon reaching the field, I slowed my pace.

Brilliant will-o'-the-wisps pierced through the gaps in the leaves, shining through the mist, casting strands of light into my eyes.

It was that luminous green, that serene green, the green familiar in my mind. In that direction, streaks of green fire sparkled in the darkness. Will-o'-the-wisps danced, leaping and flickering, as if they wanted to tear through the endless night, break free from the bonds of darkness, and soar away.

Just as I was engrossed in watching, raindrops began to fall. The gentle rain washed over the will-o'-the-wisps, purifying my soul. Like rain resembling mist, like mist resembling rain, it intertwined delicately.

As I gazed at the slowly healing scars in the sky, I thought back to the will-o'-the-wisps I had just witnessed, and my heart couldn't help but fill with strength.

Could that small figure I encountered tonight have been me in the past? I believe he must have also become the person I am now! No longer fearing that green light but rather embracing it with hope.

In this moment, my steps were composed and resolute.


The author's comments:

I believe this piece can be seen as a reinterpretation of something that happened to me personally. I used to have a profound fear of ghosts or anything deemed elusive and intangible, and this fear was true both in the past and remains so to this day. The distinction is that the current version of myself is significantly more courageous and open in various aspects compared to my former self. As I encountered that shadowy figure on the road, she represented my childhood self. It was as if we crossed paths on our journey towards the future.