Soar | Teen Ink

Soar

By austyn-hansen BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
austyn-hansen BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky

As the grey clouds fill the sky, eight racers from three different schools wearing their school colors of blue, orange, white, maroon, purple, and yellow line up on the track for the 300-meter hurdles. I jump up shaking my shoulders and begin to slowly put my hot pink spikes with blue streaks into the dark green blocks. The girl on my left shakes as she fixes the white sleeve on her arm. Placing my hands on the black warm track and lining them up with the bright white line.
“Runner’s ready?” the announcer’s voice roars. My pulse rapidly increases and I take in my final deep breath.
“Get set,” he deeply inhales. I look down to my left and to my right seeing all of the girls lined up with great form, their push-off legs being at a perfect 90-degree angle.
“Go,” he yells as he shoots the gun off. After months of training, I push off my blocks and never look back.

I wrote about track because it is my passion and I love running. 

on May. 19 2022 at 10:38 am
iridescent_iris BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
i like how you described and captured the form and stance of everyone at the moment, and how you build up towards the starting. it feels like you could see everyone leaning in to get ahead.