Unexpected Girl | Teen Ink

Unexpected Girl

By arobison16 BRONZE, Evansville, Indiana
arobison16 BRONZE, Evansville, Indiana

Prince Jake needed to find a queen. Among all the beautiful girls, one girl caught his eye. 

Once upon a time at a castle, there was a Prince, named Jake, in a rush. He was gathering everything he needed for the party. This party was going to help him find his new queen for when he becomes king soon. He needs to find the right girl. 

“Where’s my suit!!! I need it. I thought you said the maid cleaned it and put it in my room, “Prince Jake said frantically. 

“It’s right here, Sir. I am so sorry about that. I was ironing it so you looked the best for the party,” the maid said. 

“Thank you, Abby. It’s okay. I appreciate you wanting me to look my best. Everything needs to be perfect tonight.”

“You will be great. You’ll find the perfect girl to be your queen.” 

“The party is in 2 hours. I’m stressed out.”

Prince Jake got the rest of the things he needed to get done in the backyard. He did some last minute adjustments to the food and the decorations. When he was done, he heard the door open. He greeted the beautiful girl. 

“Hello, it is a pleasure to meet you,” Prince Jake said bowing.  

“It is a pleasure to meet you, too. My name is Princess Bella,” she said.

“Have you seen Lilac-Breasted Rollers?”

‘No, what is that?”

“They are one of the rarest birds in the world,” Prince Jake said, walking Princess Bella to the aviary. 

“They are so pretty. Why do you have a sword out here?”

“My Father handed it down to me. This sword has been handed down for generations. I was told to tell whoever I end up making my queen, that this was a requirement to pass down to my son.”

“That makes sense. Will you excuse me?,” she said, walking over to the table with the food and drinks. 

He greets more beautiful women, but none of them seem right to be his queen. 2 hours pass and he wants to give up. He has to pick a queen in less than an hour. 

He was standing by the aviary, admiring the beautiful birds when he heard a sweet voice say, “Those are pretty Lilac-breasted rollers.” He turned around to the most beautiful girl he’s ever seen. 

“You dropped your jaw,” she said.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’ve never seen anything so beautiful in my life,” Prince Jake said.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m talking about you,” he said smiling.

“Aww thanks. My name is Leah,” she said trying to hide her bright red cheeks. 

“Nice to meet you, Princess Leah,” he said, bowing.

“Oh, no. I’m not a princess. I heard about this party and I was excited. I’m sorry I should go before someone finds out I’m not supposed to be here.”

“No, you don’t have to go. Everyone is welcomed. I won’t tell if you don’t tell anyone that I don’t want a princess. My Father is forcing this party on me. I don’t care if they are a part of royalty or if they are just a normal person. I’m tired of this lifestyle. I want to be normal.”

“Is it that bad?”

“I have a maid that cleans my room, a chef that cooks anything I want, and a butler that gets me what I want. It’s not a bad lifestyle to have. I’m just not the right person for it.” 

“Sounds like paradise. I can see why you would be tired of it”

“I have 30 minutes to pick my future queen.”

“I’m sure you’ll pick the right girl.” 

They talked for a while about their lives when there were loud sounds. They looked toward the directions and someone was trying to get the sword. Prince Jake rushes to the guy and steals the sword away from him. 

“What do you think you are doing trying to steal my family sword? Who are you?”

“My name is Isaiah and I want that sword.”

“No, you can’t have it. It’s going to my future son.”

“I will fight you for it,” Isaiah said as he grabbed his sword.

“Don’t do it, Son. We can’t lose that sword. It’s too valuable,” Prince Jake’s father said, trying to grab the sword from his son’s hand.

“Father, I know what I am doing.”

The two started fighting, while everyone tried to stay out of the way. Eventually, Prince Jake won. Leah was so happy that she ran over and hugged Prince Jake. 

“That was great!!” Leah said.

“Thanks I learned from the best,” he said, pointing to his Father.

“That was good, Son. You proved that you are ready to be King. I am proud of you,” his Father said. 

20 minutes later, the crowd gathered around in silence waiting for the King to talk. 

“Everyone, my Son is going to choose one of you lucky ladies to become his queen.”

“Hello everyone, you all look so beautiful. There can only be one that can be my queen. I have made up my mind on who I want to be. I have chosen Leah,” he said. Everyone gasped as they all moved to allow her a clear path. She made her way up to him.

“I’m not a princess,” she whispered.

“I don’t want a stuck up princess,” he said.

“Who is she? She doesn’t look like a princess,” his father said.

“Everyone, I know you guys must be confused on why I chose someone that isn't a princess. When I met her I deeply connected with her. She may not be a real princess, but in my eyes she definitely looks like a princess. I want her to be my queen, if she is okay with that.” 

“Yes!!” she said excitedly.

Leah was crowned as Queen. She attended the party just for fun as an ordinary girl, but ended up being chosen by the Prince.  

I was given a prompt of an aviary, sword, and fairy tale. I thought of Cinderella at first but didn't know how I was going to put the aviary and sword in it. I decided to take Cinderella and put a twist on it.