The Dark Corner In Which I Found You In | Teen Ink

The Dark Corner In Which I Found You In

By forever_misguided GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
forever_misguided GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

I was pulled into a dark corner of an alley and I gasped in panic. I was going to scream, but a hand covered my mouth firmly and muffled my shrieks.

“Shh,” he whispered fiercely in my ear as his arm held me tightly against his chest. Hearing his voice calmed me. I let myself lean into him and relax. I closed my eyes when he dropped his hand from my mouth to hug me.

When he turned me so that we were face to face, I opened my eyes. It was dark, but I could still see his big soft brown eyes staring at me in horror,

“What are you doing here?” he whispered fiercely with a mix of anger and panic I his tone.

“I was looking for you, Edgar,” I whispered, my voice quivering as my eyes welled up with tears.

He exhaled in annoyance and clenched his teeth. “Aayleen,” he growled and I flinched.

“I p–panicked—I panicked when I saw that car chase you,” I explained in haste.

He turned me and pressed my back against the wall.

“You’re so stupid, Aayleen,” he said, crying now. “You shouldn’t have followed.”

I took his face in my hands and bit my lower lip. “I love you, Edgar,” I whispered as my eyes overflowed with tears. “I love you.”

He kissed me once, softly, then wrapped his arms around my waist tightly. I locked my arms around his neck and held him tightly. He whispered in my ear. “I love you, too, Aayleen. More than you know—”

A gun shot cut him off and he gasped. I caught my breath and Edgar fell over me limply.

“No,” I shrieked and held fast to him. I heard a gun cock and I looked up. A tall man held a gun a few feet way from us. He grinned devilishly and I hated him.

“No, please don’t,” I said blankly.

My arms tightened around Edgar’s neck and watched his finger slowly pull the trigger. I closed my eyes and buried my face in Edgar’s hair, waiting to hear it fire.

A second later it did. A short pain in my head vanished and I was swallowed into a white light where I saw Edgar waiting for me.....

M Kaur said...
on Jul. 26 2009 at 2:40 am
M Kaur, Chicago, Illinois
Correct me if I'm wrong, this is the one you were working when the "Lockdown Code" went off and we went into Mr. Hester's room. I loved it the first time I read it and even more the second time. But I hope you go back and write a prelude - I want to know who they were running from!