A Lie | Teen Ink

A Lie

By bridgettestarns BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri
bridgettestarns BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri

A Lie

Beep. Beeeep. Ugh. Why wont it accept my card?

“You can pay with cash ma’am,” the girl at the stand says. I quickly shove her a twenty dollar bill and grab my tickets, meeting Caren nearby.

“Sorry, my card got declined,” I explain.

“It's ok, Michelle, wanna go to the spaceship 4000?”

“Absolutely not. I will actually throw up in your face,” I squeak, trying not to laugh.

I watch as Caren’s light blue sweater disappears into the cylinder shape. The door closes and the spaceship 4000 starts to spin. I get sick watching it and look at the cliffhanger. There are about fifty people in line, so I sprint behind the last person in line. I see the green and purple gliders can hold three people as Caren and I both get on the ride.

“You better not throw up in my face,” I half yell.

“I'll try, Michelle.” Caren yells back. The wind forces my hair out of my face. I turn my head to look down, bad mistake. I realize that I’m scared of heights. Then I hear a snap and a voice screaming, it is mine, and I fall toward the ground, and everything goes dark.

“Hello,” a doctor-like figure says, “Welcome back from the simulation. I do hope you enjoyed it. You may follow me to your payment of the $2,000,000 we talked about earlier, ok?”

“Wait, what simulation? And how am I to afford $2000?” I ask confused.

“If you're confused, it is 2104.”

“2104? It's 2018, what type of joke is this?” 

“Haha,” the doctor laughs nervously, “I will be back. I am going to run a few tests,” he says, leaving me to sit in my confusion.

I go to St.Patrick School in Missouri. I love basketball and volleyball. I like writing on the weekends, and biking. The thought that the life I live in is a simulation s facinating, so I wrote my micro fiction about it. I hope you enjoy!