Jelly | Teen Ink

Jelly

By 101percent BRONZE, Hamilton, Montana
101percent BRONZE, Hamilton, Montana

I have an interesting pet. His name is jelly. Jelly likes to go on walks and play fetch. I mostly do all the work though, Jelly isn’t the best at the normal dog behaviors. I made a snack for us every morning so after school we can enjoy it together. He never eats it so I eat it instead. Mom talked about getting a goldfish so I could have a pet, but I already told her I had a dog. She acted confused, but I had already told her about Jelly. I was very worried because I thought something was wrong with my mom because she didn’t see Jelly. So I went and told my dad.  Now they have conversations about me all the time behind my back. I try to listen when they talk  but I can never really hear anything except my name being said. My 6th birthday was coming up and I was excited. I asked my mom if I could have a playdate with my friend Jacob, but she said yes. I asked her why and she said that we were busy, but I didn’t know we had plans. I tried to remind her that it was my birthday and that I really wanted to see Jacob, but she still said no. This led me to thinking there was something very wrong with my mom, and I was concerned because she never hasn’t let me hang out with Jacob. I tried to convince my dad that there was something wrong, but he told me that everything was fine and there was no need to worry. The next morning I sprung out of my bed because my birthday was finally here and I was ready to celebrate. I saw Jelly sleeping in his bed I had made for him and he came to the kitchen with me. I poured both of us a little bit of cereal, and set Jelly’s bowl down on the ground for him. He still didn’t eat but he never does so I wasn’t worried. I left his bowl next to his bed in my room just in case he got hungry. I went to brush my teeth, and then I gave Jelly a big hug like I normally do and I jumped in my dad’s car and we drove off to my school. I miss Jelly at school but I love my teacher, Mrs.Weber. After school my dad showed up in front of the school with a puppy in his hands. 

“ Thanks Dad,” I yelled. “I have always wanted another dog,” I smiled.

“What do you mean we have never had a dog,” dad said.

“Dad don’t be silly we have Jelly,” I replied.

“Yeah right, “ Dad said in a very confused and concerned voice. Later that night I celebrated with my family, and my grandma came over with a cake she had baked for me. I got a big toy rocket ship and a new pair of shoes, along with some clothes and a movie. The next morning I woke up the same as I always did, but this time my mom was waiting out in the kitchen for me and she had already made breakfast.

“Sweetheart today were are going to go on an adventure and so you won’t be going to school,” she said. 

“Okay, but where are we going then,” I asked.

“We are going to go see Dr.Megan,” she smiled.

“Why,” I quizzed.

“To just get a checkup, but later we are going to the zoo,” she informed me.

“Sounds awesome,” I chirped. We left to go to Dr. Megan's office around 8 and arrived around 8:15. We checked into the main office and they said that it would be a couple of minutes. Don’t tell Mom or Dad but Jelly came with me today. I didn’t feel like leaving him home today, but the new puppy I named Jack stayed at home. They both got along very well with each other. Jelly follows me everywhere so I never have to worry about him running away. After my mom was done talking to the office lady, I ran over to the toy section and played. After a few minutes had passed, a lady opened the door to the office and called my name. Both my parents and I walked through the clinic and into a small room with Dr. Megan taking a seat at the desk. See checked my heartbeat and my eyes like every other doctor, but then she started to ask me questions about my dog Jelly. 

I liked to talk about Jelly because Dr.Megan listened and she didn’t look so confused. Then she asked me if I was okay in here and that she wanted to talk to my parents. They stepped outside and so I thought that I could play with Jelly. We wrestled on the floor and I was no longer worried about what my parents and Dr.Megan were talking about. They entered the room and my mom told me to get up off the floor, but I told her that I was playing with Jelly. She told me that I needed to come sit up in the chair next to her and listen to Dr.Megan. Dr.Megan told me that I had a condition that I could see things that no one else and that no one else could see Jelly. She told my parents that I would probably grow out of it. But now I am 25 and even though I know Jelly isn’t real I still see him everyday.

This story is about a boy who only has one friend, Jelly