Time Frozen | Teen Ink

Time Frozen

By SkeletalWing PLATINUM, Olathe, Kansas
SkeletalWing PLATINUM, Olathe, Kansas

"Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud" - Maya Angelou

The whole world grew quiet and came to a standstill. Time was frozen around me. I looked down at my hands and moved around them in front of me. I moved my arms and legs, testing what could move. The world stopped, but I didn’t. I looked around at my surroundings next. Cars were motionless, along with the people in and around them. People were stopped mid-walk, mid-talk, mid-meal. I started walking around, examining facial expressions and taking everything in. I walked into the street without fear of being run over and looked at the various people in their vehicles. The glare from the windshield of a red minivan hit my eye, catching my attention.

Inside the van, I saw a mom and four kids. I assumed the little boy in the very back seat was the youngest. He had a full head of curly brown hair and freckles that stood out against his light skin. As he slept, his head leaned against his older brother who had the same light skin. The brother’s hair was straight and a darker brown that went down to his shoulders. He was smiling slightly and his bright green eyes were focused on the phone in his hands while earbud cords dangled from his ears. The oldest kids seemed to be two girls in the seats ahead of the boys. They were both alike in look and smile while they were frozen mid-laugh. Long blonde hair and bright blue eyes on one. Long, light brown hair and dark blue eyes on the other. Both twins had freckles like the youngest child. Finally, I looked at the smiling mother in the driver seat. I could see the pain in her eyes from whatever past she had escaped. I knew she questioned her ability to keep on going by herself, or at all, but she was still smiling in the rearview mirror at her kids. The love she held for them kept her going, even when she was drained and needed a break.

I walked between the stopped cars once more and stopped in front of a large black truck a few cars ahead of the van. I looked through the front windshield to see frozen chaos. French fries, soda, and burgers were suspended near the man’s head. He had mixed looks of anger, shock, and humor. It seemed the man had hit his brakes hard for the red light in front of us. This man had a flannel t-shirt and a cowboy hat on. His face was tanned from working long, hot days in the sun. I began to walk away when I realized a little boy was in the back seat. He had on a tractor shirt, cowboy boots, and a hat that matched his dad’s. Toys and food were suspended around him. The little boy had a wide, open-mouthed smile plastered on his face as his eyes glimmered at the scene.

I walked away from the cars and back onto the sidewalk. I saw the café I had been walking by when time froze and made my way inside. I saw a mother with her daughter standing at the counter mid-order. Her daughter had a princess shirt and tutu on with white pants, bright glittery shoes and a tiara to top it all off. She had been pulling on her mother’s hand and pointing at a dog at a nearby table when the world stopped. I looked past them to behind the counter where the workers had been mixing drinks and making food. Steam from coffee machines and cups was stock-still everywhere in the air. I walked further into the café and saw an elderly man sitting alone in a corner booth. As I looked closer, I could see a framed picture of a beautiful elderly woman. The old man’s hand rested on the photo as he smiled brightly and lovingly at the woman. I guessed she had been his wife who passed on. I saw the shimmer of a frozen tear on his rosy cheeks and could see more tears in his eyes that were threatening to spill over. This scene pulled at my heart as I went back outside. 

I had been walking with a friend when time stopped so I made my way back to her. Today had been a great day for us both with movies, snacks, laughing, singing, and good fun. Depression had taken ahold of her life a few years prior and it had hurt me to see her struggle and be in pain. I stuck by her side through it all and took her out for days like this in an attempt to make her happy, if only for a short time. But now, she had a bright, genuine smile that lit up her entire face. It was the first time I’d seen her smile like this since the depression took over. She finally seemed happy and unburdened by all her thoughts and darkness. She was bright and free for the first time in a long time and that made me smile.

I took one last thoughtful look at the world around me and resumed my original position as time broke free of its standstill. The van and truck sped on down the road as the traffic light turned green. The little girl in the café was finally pulled to her mother’s side, forced to ignore the dog. The elderly man let tears fall as he smiled at his wife’s photo. I heard my friend’s laugh, looked at her shining eyes, and laughed with her.

if time froze around you, what would you see? -prompt

(redid my original one)