My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

July 8, 2019
By HappyGoat BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
HappyGoat BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name is not common. But neither am I. In fact, I have yet to meet another person with my name except characters in television shows. The name itself means bright and pure. There is nothing more pure than not sharing your name. 


The name is unique. But I am unique. You don’t hear it often, and I am not the kind of person that you meet quite often. Phoebe is loud like a microphone whose volume has yet to be adjusted. Everyone turns because the shock of noise demands their attention. Phoebe is bright like the sun on a gorgeous summer day. You are comforted knowing the sky is clear. Phoebe is fun like flashy tube slides out on the playground and everyone is there to find a great sense of joy. Phoebe is welcoming just like a friendly face who is there to say “hi.” You can’t help but find yourself smiling.


But I am not only Phoebe. I am Pheeb, Pheebz, Fi fi, and some even call me Ferb. All of my names share one thing.  A common sound found when placing the “P” and the “H” in sequence to form the sound of the letter “F”. Again, it is unique just like it unique to see a Siberian Husky-

Chihuahua mix breed dog, yet the pair is in harmony just as the dog has become known to be a man’s best friend.


There are other times where I thought about how my life would be different if my name was not Phoebe. Would I be as outgoing? Would I be as spunky? Would I be as driven? 


But these questions are nonsense.


I will always be willing to say “hi” to new people. To go out and try new things. To work endlessly until I have achieved what I want. But where else can I find a name that means all that? There is only one, and that name is Phoebe.


I used to envy common names. The names where there are two of the same in one class.  The names where you say it to someone and don’t have to worry because you know they have definitely heard the name before.  The names where you can order something from Starbucks and not have to immediately follow it by spelling out the six letters, emphasising the “o” before the “e”.


But as I said, I used to. 


By not having any other Phoebes to interact with, I have no other Phoebes to be compared to. Or to compare myself to.  No one to watch and see how “Phoebe” is supposed to act. It’s just me. 


For that, I will forever be Phoebe.