So it begins | Teen Ink

So it begins

Wake up.

Rise unsteadily to your feet. Glance down. Last thing you remember, you were closing your eyes in a comfortable mattress, clad in bedclothes. But now, you have on a t-shirt and shorts, much like a PE uniform, and the bed is more of an army cot, though clean and comfortable.

Contestant. Are you prepared for the trial?

The word ‘contestant’ awakens a vague surprise within you. For what? You never entered a competition. And what happened to your room? You’re in a blank white room, shaped like a cube.

Do you not know?

The voice in your head is becoming exasperated.

You are entering the Trial. A deadly course full of pain and suffering to ensure that the most righteous survive. It is a trial formed eons ago by benevolent angels battling cursed demons, to root out the most sinful and to see who shall lead humanity on Judgement Day.

The Trial is deadly, with a survival rate of a little less than forty percent. For three days, all contestants will battle obstacles and each other. If you survive the Trial, you are free to return to your place on Earth, and will not register any time having passed, though you will retain all powers and memories gained during this.

To aid you, we will give you one power of your choice. You will be able to choose one and one only. Powers granting others are allowed.

Now, are you ready?

Images flutter through your mind. You don’t feel very ready; in fact, if you thought about it, you know you would probably see blood and gore.

But it looks like you have no choice.

Very well. What is your power?

You open your mouth to respond, then shut it. Surely you must think through this. What power would you need to survive any situation?

You think of many. Super strength. Invisibility. Surely intelligence would be the most important. No, what about persuasion to gain allies?

Your head begins spinning, and you sit down on the bed. What would be the smartest power?

Then you realize only one thing will make sure you always survive. You open your mouth again to say it, the word racing through your head.

Very well. I must say, that is an interesting power.

So be it. It is now within your abilities to do this.

You don’t feel any different, but when you glance at your hand, it is glowing with a pale light, an ethereal gray. Surely this means it must have worked.

But before you try it out, the voice speaks out again.

Your trial begins now. There is a hint of humor now, replacing the plain, apathetic tone. I am looking forward to see you emerge a survivor.

Good luck, and go with God.

The bright white room begins to glow, and the last thing you see before closing your eyes is a mass of white light filling your vision.

This is my first piece, but I couldn't really put much time or effort into it, so it's a bit sloppy. Nonetheless, please tell me where I can improve myself :D