Greek Mythology: Beginnings | Teen Ink

Greek Mythology: Beginnings

May 8, 2019
By MythologyWriter BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio
MythologyWriter BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

In the beginning, the world was filled with nothingness. This nothingness had a name: Chaos. Chaos was done with nothingness, so out of the gloopy mist, the earth was created. This earth had a name: Gaea. Chaos continued to form the sky: Ouranos. A large dome was formed under the earth; it was called Tartarus. These primordial gods could take on a human-like form. Gaea and Ouranos were able to come together and have children. They had a group of twelve muscular human-like kids called the Titans. The six males were named Oceanus, Coeus, Krios, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Cronus. The six females were Thea, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, and Tethys. Many other Primordial gods were formed or born, including Nyx (Night), Aether (Air), Hemera (Day), Moros (Fate), Thanatos (Death), Ker (Doom), Hypnos (Sleep), Oneiroi (Dreams), Geras (Old Age), Oizus (Pain), Nemesis (Revenge), Eris (Strife), Apate (Deceit), Momos (Blame), Philotes (Intimate Pleasure), and Ananke (Necessity). Other major Primordial gods included Pontus, who was the Sea, and Erebus, who was the underworld (above Tartarus but below Gaea). Gaea and Ouranos had another group of children, called the Cyclopes, who were tall, and strong, but had hideous faces with only a single eye in the middle of their forehead. Ouranos immediately hated them. He was a cruel father, and he refused to acknowledge the Cyclopes as his children. Just after Gaea had finished naming them; Arges, Steropes, and Brontes, Ouranos came back down from the sky with chains made of the black of night and imprisoned them in the deepest part of earth— Tartarus. Gaea was furious, but there was nothing she could do about it. They had another set of children; the Hecatoncheires, or Hundred-Handed Ones. Each giant had a hundred hands and had fifty heads. Their names were Briareus, Cottus, and Gyges. Once again, Ouranos chained them up and forced them to Tartarus. Gaea was done with Ouranos and got the Titans together to plan his murder. No murder had happened before, and Ouranos was immortal, along with Gaea and her children, so it was unknown to her if it was possible. Out of the earth, Gaea created the first weapon, a scythe. All of the twelve Titans were too frightened to use it, except for the youngest, Cronus. He stepped forward and took the weapon. Cronus was eager to kill his father but knew he would need some help. He asked his fellow Titans to help pin Ouranos while Cronus killed him. All the females immediately backed out. Oceanus backed out, he preferred to spend his time in the sea. That left four Titans: Coeus, Krios, Hyperion, and Iapetus. Cronus promised them the four corners of the earth for their support. Ouranos came down to find Gaea waiting for him, ready to forgive him, or so he thought. The second Ouranos was unprotected, Coeus, Krios, Hyperion, and Iapetus lept out and forced him to the ground. Cronus emerged from his hiding spot, scythe in hand. Ouranos struggled, but the Titans held him down fast. Cronus held his scythe out, ready to finish his father, but Ouranos had time for one last curse. He cursed Cronus, saying that Cronus’ kids would one day overthrow him, just as Cronus was doing to Ouranos right now. The scythe came crashing down, and icher, the blood of immortals, flew out. Ouranos’ icher was so powerful, it flew up, and some went into the sea. Thus, the goddess Aphrodite formed. She drifted out at sea until much later… Ouranos’ icher also fell on rocks that were near the sight, and it created the Erinyes (The Furies), three women that had bat-like wings, and fiery whips. The blood also created the Meliae (Ash Tree Nymphs), who were the first of many nature nymphs. Cronus was declared the ruler of the universe, and he built his throne and fortress on Mount Othrys, the then tallest mountain in Greece. He kept the Cyclopes and Hundred-Handed Ones in Tartarus, and sent a Dragoness, Kampe, to guard them. As he promised, Cronus gave the Titans who helped him the four corners of the Earth. Hyperion got the East, Iapetus the West, Coeus the North and Krios the South. Hyperion called himself the lord of light. The sun rises in the east, so he called himself the master. He married his sister Thea, and she gave birth to Helios, Selene, and Eos. The sun itself was driven by the titan named Helios. The moon was driven by Titaness Selene. On the other hand, the Titan Iapetus was much calmer. He lived in the west, where the sunset. His name means ‘the Piercer’ because when he needed to, he was an incredible spear fighter. Coeus was the Titan of prophecies and constellations. His symbol was the ram, and his name means ‘questioning’. He married his sister, Phoebe, who presided over prophecies. Krios, who took the south, was married to Eurybia, who was the daughter of Gaea and Pontus. Oceanus, who didn’t help kill Ouranos, married his sister, Tethys. He lived in the Ocean and was a personification of the sea. It is from his name that we get the word ocean. Cronus saw the other Titans get married, so he decided to get a wife of his own. He married his sister, Rhea. Cronus was often confused with the word that meant time, ‘Chronus’. Therefore, he was often depicted as the master of time. Cronus’ rule was called the Golden Age. It was at this time that the first humans existed. They were created by Prometheus, a Titan who deeply cared for his creations. The humans, or mortals, as they were known as by the Titans, were not super intelligent. They died quickly to the immortals and didn’t have reliable a method for cooking food. They didn’t yet have a language and didn’t know how to kill each other. They were the first race of humans, the Golden race. 

 

Author's Note: this is the current end of the book. The Author is working on continuing it. Many different books and internet sources were used to research for this story


The author's comments:

I am a Junior High student who loves mythology. For this piece, I did research, this is what actually happened in Greek Myths, not my imagination.