The True Meaning Behind My Name | Teen Ink

The True Meaning Behind My Name

By 0hayes BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
0hayes BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

The name William brings to mind conquerors, kings, princes, writers, poets, and elegant men throughout history. In England and Germany, William means Resolute protector. In France the meaning is Determined protector. It is proper, stoic, respectable and serious. Yet also confident. It is loyal. It is clear. It is the color blue. Crisp like the air on a cool fall day. It is a leader like my great grandfather.

William was my great Grandfather's name. He was an outstanding man, a father of seven, a great grandfather of 100. However, for much of his life he went by the shortened version of his name. Willy. Like my grandfather, I am called Willy although;  the connotation of the same name in these two forms is very different.

The name Willy brings to mind athletes, comics, and singers. Willy is green like the turf on the football field. Willy is friendly like the warm sun streaming through the window on a cool fall day. Willy is happy and loyal like my dog greeting me at the door after school. Willy is me.

Willy McCarville, my great grandfather who I never met was a short old irishman. Tales of Grandpa McCarville encompass jokes, and cute giggles and a roaring belly laugh. Secretly giving candy to the grandchildren before dinner, always with a smile and a wink. Grandpa Willy never took himself too seriously, nor did he ever stop smiling!

Born the third child of four to my parents, my name was predetermined. I was always going to be William however with my “spirited personality and cutest smile” according to my mom I became known as Willy to all who met me.

Playing T-Ball at age four and five people would announce me as Willy “Mays” Hayes after the amazing baseball legend. As I’ve grown Willy Mays Hayes also becomes interchangeable with “Purple Hayes”. Jimi Hendrix helped add to my nickname that my football coaches and teammates have also adopted.

Although I can be a bit serious at times like William, my ability to laugh at myself and my humourous outlook on life definitely makes Willy me.