The Depth of my Name | Teen Ink

The Depth of my Name

February 28, 2019
By arrowheadstudent22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
arrowheadstudent22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name is the color amber. My name is joy. My name is warmth. My name is the feeling of the very last glimpse of summer, just before the air turns the color of the leaves on the highest tree branches. My name is a cozy, isolated log cabin, smoke swirling out of the chimney into the cool night sky. My name is the smell of pine needles on a great spruce tree. My name is Josie.


My name comes from the French name Josephine. However, I will only ever be a Josie. Josephine seems too delicate, too prissy, too dated. Josephine makes me think of periwinkle rather than the rich amber of Josie. Josephine would smell of lavender not of pine trees in the mountains. Nonetheless, a definition of the name Josie does not exist and I have to make do with Josephine's: “God will increase.” While I am not very religious, it makes me happy that my name stems from this definition. It makes me feel like I can improve someones day. Like I can spread a little joy just by smiling at people.


My name has two possible pronunciations: Jo-see or Jo-zee. I have no preference towards either, but my mom has always preferred the prior. Once I brought up this issue on pronunciation and she responded, “I named you to be a Jo-see, you should always tell people that what your name is.” Whenever I am asked my preference I will respond, “Either works, just choose whichever one you want.” I am accustomed to both pronunciations and like giving others the freedom to choose.


If provided the opportunity, I would not change my name. My name is cute and charming, but not too delicate like a flower. Not to prissy like Josephine. Rather my name is an aspen tree during the very beginning of autumn. The top branches turning a vibrant yellow under autumns cool breath. My name is fitting. My name is me. My name is Josie.


The author's comments:

This is a piece about the meaning of my name.