Across the Country | Teen Ink

Across the Country

By SkeletalWing PLATINUM, Olathe, Kansas
SkeletalWing PLATINUM, Olathe, Kansas

"Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud" - Maya Angelou

I had woken up early for school in order to meet my friend, Amber and wander the school. Before I left, she shot me a text; "Sorry, I won't be at school today. I'm super sick. I'll see you tomorrow though." "That's okay. Feel better ya dork." I told my mom that we could leave later. 

I got to school and found a couple of my other friends sitting at a table and joined them. I wasn't ever one for talking when people I didn't know well were around, so I just sat and went through social media. My first classes were boring and long with tests that I easily passed. My third class came around and I saw one of my other friends, Jax. She sat in the back of the classroom, me somewhere in the middle, but she smiled and I waved slightly. We sent each other funny messages and pictures on the school provided laptops and almost got caught by our weird teacher. 

After lunch, we were having a school assembly to celebrate the end of our Eighth grade school year. I wasn't interested and with Amber being sick, I didn't know where I was going to sit. I walked up to Jax and asked her if I could sit with her and the other people she sat with. She said yes and led me to the gym and her other friends.

We became better friends after that and even though we had four months of this year left, we talked almost every day that we had school. She didn't have a new phone yet, so I wouldn't have a way to contact her over summer. My parents were strict and would only let me hang out with cousins and my other friend, so I had no chance of seeing her until the next school year. I made the most of the short time though. 

The last day of school rolled around and I had bad news. I messaged Jax in my first class, along with my closest friends, "I've got something to tell you at lunch. Sit at the usual tables." They all agreed to sit together and after we all had our crappy "last day of school paper bag lunch", I made the announcement. "So, I am moving to California for a few years. I'll be back Senior year because I convinced my parents to let me graduate with you guys. Just make sure you're all here for me to graduate with." It was a sad goodbye, knowing I wouldn't see them in person for three years. Some tears were shed, and after saying goodbye to all but Jax and Amber.

Amber was a sobbing, smeared makeup mess and I promised her I'd come back for Christmas at least once, and that we'd Skype and call when we could. She finally let go of me, leaving mascara on my flannel shirt. I watched her get into her car and wave at me while she cried more. My parents would be here with the moving truck and two vans to take us and my sisters on a road trip to our new home. I had stopped crying when Amber got in her car, but as I turned to look at Jax, I couldn't help but cry some more. 

I felt like I had only met her a couple weeks ago and I was going to miss her terribly. "So, I guess this is goodbye?" She came closer and laughed through her own tears. "ha, no. Let's not say goodbye. Just, see you soon." "Yeah, I like that better." We were laughing, crying messes as we held each other in a tight hug. "I'm really going to miss you, Jax. If you get a phone, you have my number and I will always be there to talk if needed." "I'll hold you to that." We let go and I grabbed my backpack off the ground as my parents pulled up. "I'll see you soon Jax." "See you soon." I was going to miss them so much, but I knew that the future was promising and I would see them again soon.

The last thing I saw before breaking out in more tears, was Jax waving goodbye to me. Her honey brown eyes pouring tears like a waterfall.

just a draft for a story I planned on writing last year but never got around to.

I'm doing it as a two-part short story.