Relief | Teen Ink

Relief

By Tappwater BRONZE, Chico, California
Tappwater BRONZE, Chico, California

Surrounded by a soft warmth and calm stillness, awaken from the faint tapping upon the window my eyes open and adjust to the white lighting one experiences at six in the morning on a fall day. I watch the dust particles fly through the air constantly looking for a place to land, turning over a sleeping tan and stubbled face appears, the heat from his breathe stinging my nose. This face..is soothing, almost forgetting about the shadows my thoughts hold today, I almost forgot the depression fate decided to give me as I awoke. Eyes shoot open as an arm pulls me close, he can not see me from that far away. His hand holds my cheek, long slender fingers stroke the deep crease under my eye as he stares..he can see the depression written across my forehead in thick marker. With an empathic smile, he begins kissing my forehead gently as to not cause a headache I was sure to get, however slowly the shadows began struggling to stay. They screamed and clawed all at once, the cacophony left me begging for silence once again and then it was gone, no sound, no claws digging in...I was alone with him and the rain outside the window. All that was left were deep set wounds, my mind left as the deadlands filled with corpses of what was once my pain. My cheeks were soaked and I had buried myself into his warmth, arms tightly gripping me and eyes closed...his warmth gave me security, I was safe, I was loved and he was not letting me go. He promised me eternity with him and I promised the same, We both knew later we would discuss life as we drank coffee so copper brown it would stain our teeth and we would laugh, life was worth living.