In a Horror Film | Teen Ink

In a Horror Film

By Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde

I walked into the new home, scared at what I might find. I didn’t know this new family. I didn’t know if they were dirty, or excessively clean. I didn’t know their religion. I didn’t know how they talked, or if they were huggers. I didn’t know if they were country folk, or city people.

As I observed the room, it appeared immaculate. There wasn’t a speck of dust anywhere. Everything looked precisely placed. It was odd. It was different from my own home where things were messily tossed across the floor in every which way.

My second observation was the fact that the room was shockingly cold. It felt like winter. I pulled my arms close together as goose bumps arose on my skin. It made me uncomfortable. I felt as if I was in a doctor’s office or a school room. I also compared this to the delightfully warm temperature of my house.

My third observation was the quiet. It was worse than being in a library. I knew the family was home. I knew they had kids, ages 5 and 12. I knew they weren’t in bed, or at school. It was 5 pm. I thought this was odd. I was in the family room. There was a TV and a couch. Also, an armchair was cattycornered in the far corner. There were a couple blankets on the furniture. There were a few pillows and there was a beanbag in the middle of the floor, but none of this looked lived in.

I timidly stepped forward, with a little fear still lingering in my heart. Pulling my luggage behind me, I made my way to the next room, which seemed to be the kitchen. Still I found no one. This emptiness struck me as a little more than strange. It frightened me a bit.

I looked in the refrigerator, interested in what I might find. There was hardly a thing in there. It was just the essentials. There was a loaf of bread, a package of cheese, milk, butter, and a whole, untouched roll of bologna. In the freezer, there was a couple of TV dinners and the ice in the ice maker. I checked the cabinets. There was Frosted Mini Wheat and Ramen Noodles. That’s all.

Their dishwasher and sink looked unused. Their silverware was limited to 5 spoons, 5 knives, 5 dinner forks, and 5 salad forks. They had 5 plates and 5 bowls. All of them matched. They had a large serving platter, which also matched their plates and bowls. They had 5 coffee mugs and 5 regular glasses. They matched the patter and the plates and the bowls. They had a coffee maker that was unplugged and unused, as well as a toaster in the same condition. There were no crumbs and the unusual cleanliness continued through out the rest of the house as I continued my self guided tour.

The bathrooms looked untouched and that is impossible for any normal human being. There was absolutely nothing hanging on the walls and no pictures of the family. The bedrooms were all neutrals and I couldn’t tell who slept in which room. Actually, they didn’t look slept in at all. This home carried a strange feel with it and my heart was pounding as I longed to find the owners.

I came around corner after corner, not realizing this house was much larger than it looked from the outside. Everything carried the same unused, untouched feeling with it, making me feel a little unwelcome and squeamish in my own skin.

Finally, as I rounded one final corner, I heard voices. I followed them to what seemed like a door to a study. The door was closed and the voices muffled, so I couldn’t hear what they were saying. I didn’t want to be rude, so I knocked before I opened the door and as soon as I did, I heard a loud shuffling and someone running to the door.

Before I knew it, the door was being opened for me. A very tall, very beautiful man greeted me. “You must be from the exchange of your significant other show LaDonna entered us into. I‘m Thomas,” he said with a voice as smooth as cream.

“Yes, I’m from Trading Spouses. I’m Cindy,” I said, still mesmerized by the beauty of the man before me. His skin was ivory and without blemish. His eyes were an icy blue, chilling as the winter wind, but as gorgeous as the ocean rolling in and sinking out. It seemed as if they were piercing through your soul and learning all your secrets. His lips were a crimson red, contrasting with his completion, but in a good way. His hair was brown and slicked back, giving him the aura of someone like Elvis and making him appear even more attractive, as well as classy. His smile was a dazzling white and perfectly straight and he was dressed in his Sunday best, black suit, and white tie, with perfectly polished dress shoes. “You have children?” His presence made me feel a bit on edge and a bit comfortable at the same time. He was luring me in with every breath.

“Yes, yes! Edgar, Wednesday, come, meet your new mommy,” he said in the smooth voice, but it almost cracked as he said, “new mommy.” Two children ran, no almost floated, up beside this beautiful man and they were just as beautiful, if not more. Their faces were angelic with the same ivory completion, wonderfully blue eyes, and crimson red lips. They were tall for their ages. The boy was most definitely the five year old, while the girl looked more 14 then 12.

“I’m Cindy. Nice to meet you Edgar,” I placed my hand forward, as if to shake, and this boy bit me on the wrist. “OW!” I exclaimed and pulled back.

“EDGAR!” Thomas exclaimed in a booming version of the still smooth and seemingly calm voice. “Do NOT bite our guests! That is most certainly impolite! Apologize. Now!”

The boy, now looking at his feet in what seemed like shame, lifted his head slightly so his longish blonde hair fell into his eyes and said, “I’m sorry,” in a quiet, mousy voice. He appeared a little scared, but I think he was more scared of me than his father.

“Well, you are just a boy. It’s fine, just please do not do that again,” my voice shook a bit as I talked. “You won’t bit me, will you, Wednesday?” I chuckled a bit.

She stood silently and shook her head no. As she did, her brown, curly locks jumped up and down. It was very cute and made her look like she was 12. She seemed sweet enough. So I placed my hand forward again to shake hers. She looked at me quizzically. I nodded to tell her it was okay. She took my hand and I shuttered. It must’ve been 1,000 degrees! I jumped back a little. Thomas saw my shock.

“Shall I show you to your room so you can freshen up?” he asked.

“That would be nice, yes.”

“Follow me,” he said as we embarked on our journey back through the twisting hallways in this strange house. He was silent all the way there and I was a little intimidated by these new surroundings, so I didn’t spark a conversation. Suddenly he stopped at a closed door and opened it slowly. “This will be your quarters while you are here. Help yourself to food and bathing needs,” he said and walked away.

I noticed the bedroom was decorated in the same drab fabrics and colors as the rest of the house. The bed looked unused also. I set my suitcase, which had tagged along behind me throughout the house, down on the bed and looked in the attached bathroom. It seemed untouched. Nothing had ever been moved since it had been placed there. The toilet paper was still in a wrapper, like you find at a hotel. This was the oddest house I had ever been in.

I walked back into the bedroom, slipped off my shoes and laid on the bed. I had had a long day of traveling and even after meeting this family for only a few minutes, I had a lot to think about. Their faces floated around in my head as I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up and looked at my watch. It was midnight. I felt a little hungry and remembered Thomas’s invitation to help myself to the food in the kitchen. I stumbled to the door and flipped on my light, so I would know which room was mine when I worked my way back.

I stepped out into the hallway and tried my best to find the kitchen. I knew it was going to take a while. This house was huge.

Suddenly, I heard a howl. I jumped, then froze. What was that? Another ear piercing howl was let out and my body shivered. The hairs on my arms stood straight up. This howl wasn’t from a normal animal and this howl was coming from inside the house. Where had this stupid show placed me? Freaksville?

Then, I heard the footsteps. Where were those stupid camera men when you needed them? Thump… thump… thump…thump, thump, thump! They kept getting louder and faster. I wanted to run, but I didn’t know if I would run into the monster that was edging closer to me. My feet were led and super glued to the carpet I was standing on.

Soon, another howl. This one sounded different from the first two. A fourth howl rung out into the night. This one was still different from the first two and the third. There were three of them, all getting closer to this spot I was standing.

The howls kept coming and the footsteps now kept a steady, fast pace. They were getting closer. I was getting closer to my doom. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I knew I was going to face to face with the beasts in a matter of seconds. If I didn’t do something, I would be coming to an end.

My feet finally leveled with my brain and allowed me to run into the room behind me and lock the door. I was on the second story, but if I could get the window open, I was pretty sure I could jump out and run. When I got to the window, I realized it was barred shut. Maybe, just maybe I could break the bars off. I had to try.

Right after I opened the window, I started hearing scratching on the door. The howls and footsteps were a piece of lousy wood away from me. I was terrified. I pressed against the bars with all my might. They wouldn’t budge. A scream burst from my lips as the wood gave a little in the middle. A small slit was formed. I looked through and saw a piercing blue eye looking straight through at me. Thomas’s eye, but now, it was surrounded by fur.

My legs felt like jelly. My heart felt like it was going to explode. My eyes filled with tears as I pushed the bars as hard as I could and they didn’t move and I realized I was doomed.

The door cracked in the middle. I was staring at… werewolves. Three of them. Thomas, Edgar, and Wednesday. I sunk to the floor and the biggest one, Thomas, pounced on me. I had met my fate. I was puppy chow. As he bit my neck, I felt myself weaken. As the last bit of life drained out of me, I smiled at this adventure. What a marvelous way to go.

In a horror film.

on Apr. 28 2009 at 2:05 am
music4bunny BRONZE, Nederland, Texas
It seemed kind of long to me and too descriptive. the sentences seemed to be choppy. i loved the idea of the story, though. just needs some polishing up.

CatCave GOLD said...
CatCave GOLD, Duluth, Georgia

We do not inherit the earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.

this was so good. i had no idea what was going to happen. it kept me on edge. :)