UNTITLED | Teen Ink

UNTITLED

By skigirl14 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
skigirl14 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

In English my name means pure and innocent. Katie is a bright orange and a sunshine yellow. The name is cheerful, easy going and yet full of energy. Someone who is outgoing, adventurous and cordial.

Katie Elizabeth Lynch. My parents liked the name Katie, not Kathleen or Katharine. I am Katie: short, sweet and simple. Someone who is outgoing and fun to be around. I am not Katharine which is more formal and strict.

If I was not named Katie, I would have been named Amanda. My dad liked the name Amanda, but Katie was number one. My middle name is from my great Aunt Betty (Elizabeth). I never met her but she was a big part of my mom's life.

My mom lived down the road from her. She was kind to everyone she met and had a glowing smile. They helped run my grandparents resort together with the rest of the family. I never got to see the resort, but I’ve heard many stories. We now live in her house, with some renovations.

At school, teachers ask if my name is short for something more. Caitlin? Katharine? Maybe even Katrina? I tell them all no. All of my friends call me Katie. Sometimes they say ‘Kt’ but I have always been Katie.

Sometimes my parents call me Kate. When I was younger a family friend of mine called me Kate all the time. Other than that, I am Katie. Katie is as simple as drawing a square. Nothing outstanding, but enough to connect four corners, to make a square complete. Katie is nothing special but easy and simple to get along with. Everyone knows a Katie in their lives.

As a child, I always wanted to be named Hailey. That is my family friends name and I admire her. Having someone to look up to, I aspired to be just like her, name and all. Hailey was the most outgoing person you will ever meet. She was not afraid of anything and always took the risk. Not having any siblings, she was like a big sister to me. We always had fun together, playing board games on the deck, swimming in the lake and watching movies in our pajamas.

Now I know that Katie fits me, like a glove. Katie is a cheerful and happy person. The person you want to be with when you are sad. She is someone who will wait for you when everyone else has already left. Someone who will share her last piece of her favorite food with you. That is why I am a Katie. Today, I do not want another name. I like my name.