Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

By Kevinp SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kevinp SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

"No"

My name comes from the Irish name Caoimhín, but my name is Kevin what do those two names have in common?  How do they go from Caoimhín to Kevin? And Caoimhín means kind gentle and handsome.  But I don’t feel handsome and I do not feel gentle that’s why sometimes I think my name doesn’t fit who I am.   Maybe my name doesn’t fit me because my parents picked from a hat.

My name sounds like the color grey.  Like a piece of bread a piece of white bread on the table.  Have a cool last name and it adds jelly and peanut butter to the bread.  But my last name never adds jelly or peanut butter to this lonely piece of white bread on the table.  My name is like a white noise you hear when the tv turns to snow.

Whenever people hear about me, hear what my name is and then finally meet me in person they always say your not who I expected you to be.  Why because of my name? And I never know how to take that statement, is it a compliment, an insult. I always say thank you and hopefully they weren’t saying it as if it was an insult.  

Some people will call me Kev but my close friends rarely call me by any of my names.  But it really isn’t necessary just look at them at start talking.

I never imagined having a different name.  I never really wanted a different name I like the one I have.  But my parents told me the second name would have been Kelvin. I couldn’t imagine walking around in school and people saying, “Hey Kelvin.”  And it only takes is one letter to make a name 1 million times worse and they hit gold with the name Kelvin. But most importantly what are my parents doing thinking about calling me Kelvin.