A City Submerged | Teen Ink

A City Submerged

By W-Murphy SILVER, Merced, California
W-Murphy SILVER, Merced, California

The captain of Sub City has announced that new construction will commence on
South Class of the city. Of course, I know what this means, as does everybody else
in this drowned ship. Everyone has photographic memories after the worldwide
experiment that all citizens were required by the government to participate in.
It was top secret and unknown by the people. A few hundred of the population
have already suffered the worst because of this so-called memory overload. With
this new found talent, it is common knowledge that on November,17th, a violent
rally was formed. 21 men and 14 women participated in violence against the
newly formed Government of the Republic of Water Dwellers, or Government of
the ROWD. 12 peace officers were put out of commision forever after the scuffle.
There is no doubt that the same thing will happen in this situation.

Amyas South put the final punctuation on his journal entry and carefully slid his holographic notebook and stylus into his backpack that was always full of desk items. He started to make his way to his family’s lodging. On his way down the long indoor hall, he stopped to look out a window that was situated to his immediate right. Amyas was not surprised to see an ocean of dark blue. A regal tang swam by, making his heart skip a few beats as he was easily startled. A tall woman with straight black hair poked her head out of a door on the other end of the hall and asked,

“Aren’t you coming in Amyas? Your nighttime meal is turning cold!” To his mind, that wasn’t very threatening as close to none of the meals he had ever eaten on this large submarine had tasted any good. To make things even duller, he lived in the South Class which meant that his family and all other families in the South got the last pick on the food that they could eat, being beat out by the North Class. As Amyas reluctantly started for his humble lodging, the floors began to tremble. This reminded him of last year on February, 25. A tsunami shook the entire Indian Ocean which happened to be where Sub City was drifting. The only thing that was different this time was that his feet began to fill wet. By now the halls were continually filling up with more and more Water Dwellers.

“Sub City has sprung a leak! This is bad! Never has this happened in the 30 years that Sub City had been underwater! That’s ok. This place was pretty dull anyway,” thought Amyas as the Arctic water rose to his knees.

Over the submarine intercom, the captain announced, “Sub City has sprung a leak,”

“Duh!” said Amyas aloud. A girl that Amyas had never liked laughed in a high pitched voice. “Girls laugh at anything. It’s so weird” Amyas said in his head slightly confused.

“I’d like to ask all residents to quickly find their way to the escape pods that can be found in your respective lodgings,” continued the unseen voice as the water found its way a few inches above his waist. Amyas instinctively pulled his backpack above his head to protect the contents inside. “May I add that you are only to bring the necessities with you to the surface,” added the PA system.

Collectively, the Water Dwellers let a scared gasp; this generation had never been to the surface as it had been contaminated almost 30 years ago. With that, a surge of movement was sent along crowd as they made their way to their lodgings. Suddenly, someone, probably that annoying blonde haired girl, bumped into him splashing through the water. He fell in and his entire body was instantly chilled. After that, everything went black.

-----------------

As Amyas was coming back to his senses, he heard his father talking in his very husky voice, “Do you think he will be all right? His body temperature was really low when we found him.” The voice that answered sounded exactly like my physician’s voice.

“He will be okay. It looks like he is waking up, sir,” explained the doctor. As he said that Amyas began to open his eyes. Dr. Martin’s face was seen smiling at the boy on a video screen. Just as Amyas was going to ask a question, the escape pod’s siren started to wail. “Looks like we’d best be logging off; we are arriving at the surface,” said the Doctor

Sure enough, his eyes saw the natural brightness of the sun. It was unlike anything he had ever seen, and that is saying a lot because of his photographic memory.

The source of the leak was found mere hours ago. Some unhappy men
got in a fight, after a few too many drinks, over the controversial decision
to begin construction in the South Class. One of the men was a from a line
of archaeologists. He always brought a dinosaur bone with him wherever
he went. The bone in question was seen flying through the air, according
to many key witnesses. It struck one of the main pipes that provided air
pressure for the sub water city and leak quickly sprung and you can
probably figure out the rest.

Slowly, Amyas set down his stylus in deep thought. Suddenly a mysterious figure climbed the top of the mountain, coming into sight of the hundreds of thousands of people encamped on the ocean shore. The man’s shadowed face didn’t match any memories I had ever had before. Two details were very clear, the man sported a cowboy hat with a green snake following the mysterious person’s side with every movement. Just as quickly as the cowboy showed up, he disappeared. With that, Amyas added,

A weird person has shown up above the mountain. I have a gut instinct
that he will be able to lead us to a safe place in this contaminated world,
maybe even help us rebuild the broken remains of the city that our
ancestors had to leave many years ago…

I wanted to add a fun edge to this piece with the journal entries found throughout the piece and blend them with the characters real perception of reality.