The Time an Elephant Crossed the Interstate | Teen Ink

The Time an Elephant Crossed the Interstate

June 7, 2018
By kamcd20 BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
kamcd20 BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was December 14, 2035, which was the night before a large snow storm. I set four alarm clocks that night because I knew the roads and the traffic would be horrible in the morning.

The night had passed and it was officially December fifteenth with a thick layer of snow that glistened from the morning sunshine. I realized that the sun was shining in my face, which normally does not happen because I am usually up before sunrise. When I looked at the time, it was seven fifteen and I had a forty-five minute drive to work at the RailRider’s stadium in Moosic, PA. I thought to myself, Oh no! How could I have slept passed four alarms?

I jumped out of bed and showered as fast as I could. I threw my hair up into a messy bun since I was running around trying to find my name tag. I put on my uniform and shoes while I rushed into the car.

Once I was in the car, I began to think to myself, Well I’m already late, I might as well run through a fast food place for breakfast. I stopped at the local Dunkin’ Donuts to grab a coffee and a bagel before I attempted to enter the morning rush hour.

I made it through traffic and got to work by eight o’clock. I hurried into my desk hoping no one would notice me. When I got to my desk, I saw my boss, Lonnie, sitting in my chair.

“Alex, why are you late?” asked Lonnie in a stern tone.

I replied, “I am very sorry. However, I have a good explanation.”

Lonnie followed up with, “Well, I’m waiting!”

“Well you see, I left my house thirty minutes early because of the amount of snow that fell and rush hour would be a mess. However, I got onto the Interstate and there was still traffic,” I said in a nervous tone.

Lonnie asked in confusion, “I thought you said you left before rush hour?”

“I did. When I was able to move past some of the traffic, I saw a herd of elephants that had just crossed the Interstate,” I told Lonnie.

Lonnie questioned Alex in disbelief, “Elephants?”

“Yes! Elephants! Then I got stuck behind a herd of zebras crossing to follow the elephants,” I declared to Lonnie with a smile on my face.

Lonnie answered with, “Okay, but if the elephants and zebras were crossing the Interstate, where were they going?”

“The elephants and zebras were migrating south for the winter,” I explained to Lonnie with a convincing tone.

“That was one heck of a story Alex! What really happened?” asked Lonnie with a smile on his face.

I mentioned, “I accidentally slept in because all of my alarms were set in the evening instead of in the morning.”

“With that story you told me, you are off the hook. Just don’t make it a habit,” answered Lonnie with a laugh.