How I am Here On Earth | Teen Ink

How I am Here On Earth

June 6, 2018
By J.Welch BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
J.Welch BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   Walking, walking in California on my way to the bank. Honestly, I don’t know why I’m, here but I guess I am. Other people know why I am here, it's because of my story of how I have survived in the dessert with no proper equipment which made me famous. So I’m on every talk show that it is possible. Still walking and lots of paparazzi surrounded me asking all these questions that I couldn’t comprehend. But there was one that caught my attention.

“Lisa, Lisa can you please tell us your story from your perspective, not the news?”

   I, know I could stall for another ten minutes so why not? I thought to myself.

“Yea sure.” As the paparazzi got closer still surrounding me.


1:00 AM

   “I was drunk with a bunch of friends, there was five of us. We were walking somewhere not really sure… which was probably our own faults in the first place. Plus we left the car running the whole time so that was wrong of us.”


1:57 AM

   We were all under attack by a coyote, keep in mind that we’re out in the open so we didn’t know where to go. Unfortunately, two of my friends died, their bodies were half gone blood everywhere, their bodies were cold and had no color in it.”


2:14 AM

   The three of us are still walking trying to find the car but still nothing. Walking complete darkness and of course no water no trees no nothing. Rattlesnake! One of my friends steps on its tail since she did that the snake bit her. With a stick, I instantly killed the snack with it by smacking it multiple times. Then I went towards her and asked her how she’s feeling.

“The venom is in my I can feel it but I don’t feel so well.”

I didn’t know how to get the venom out of her body and our cell phones were in the car so there was no way I could help her. But I didn’t want to leave her there but I think I have to.

“Hey Shelly, is there any way you could walk?”

By that time she didn’t respond and I checked her pulse on her neck and there was nothing. I didn’t even know how to react at that time because I knew I could have saved her some kind of way but I didn’t.

“Till this day I am still mad at myself because of it,” I told the paparazzi


4:46 AM

   It’s getting a little warmer now since the night is starting to come to an end but still pitch black. I didn’t even realize that my other friend and I parted ways. I guess I she walked in other directions because she was drunker than I was. But I kept walking and would stop until I find something or someone to help me.


5:23 AM

    I found an old man that was homeless. He was barely wearing any clothes just ripped pants and half a shirt no shoes, socks, hats. He did have a mask to put over his mouth and nose which was pretty smart. I asked him,” How long have you been out in the desert?”

“Over 2 years, I’m not sure what happened and I don’t know how to get home. What are you doing out here?”

“Well I was drunk from a college party and I found myself here. There was five of us but most of them died due to nature.” As I was trying to hold my tears. “ May I ask what is your name?”

“Carl. Carl Dickens, if I make it out alive I want to look for my family and just go home to them. I know they are looking for me and I want to let them know that I am still alive.”

“ I understand, if I make it out alive then I will help your goal come true. What is your wife’s name?”

“Dakota Dickens.”

The sunset is waking up and I can see the true Carl Dickens he had to at least be in his late forties. With gray hair everywhere and scars everywhere on his body, skin so thin you could probably rip it.

“ I hope everything will turn out great for you sir and I promise you I will help in any kind of way.”


6:47 AM

Still walking finally thinking that I am going nowhere and need to spend my last moments here thinking about why I’m on Earth and all of the accomplishments I have made in life. Until a helicopter came down slowly in front of me. It was so hard to see because of the dust flying everywhere Maybe this is a rescue mission or some army training. Not sure but I needed to get their attention some kind of way.

“Hi! Hi, my name is Lisa and I’m lost, not sure where to go and afraid I’m about to die. Can you please help me!”

“Yes just hop in and we’ll explain how we found you.”

They told me and I was very surprised and scared because they were actually hunting me down the whole time since I am a college student and my school was looking out for me. They also told me that I should share my story and explain all of the emotions that.


Next week (Today)

   So that is my story and I’m glad that you guys were listening but I have to go. Thank you, as I shove myself past the crowd of people. Originally I was going to the bank and withdraw all of my money to give to Dakota Dickinson because I want to let her know that her husband is still alive and will do anything to see his family again. After the bank, I look her name up and she’s actually around the corner from the bank. While walking there I’m thinking about what to say. I’m at her house and I’m shaking mostly in my knees. A part of me wants to turn around and forget about it but another part of me is still keeping that promise. Before I made that final decision she already opens the front door.

“Hi, how may I help you?”

“Um hi, my name is Lisa-

“Lisa, the girl from the desert wow you have really changed my life. I mean I’ve learned how to become more independent since my husband left.”

“Well that’s what I want to talk to you about while I was at the desert I saw him and he told me that he’ll do anything to see you again but he’s been out there for more than 2 years. So I am giving you this money to do everything in your will to find him again. Because I know how much he wants to see you again and I promised him to do that. Instantly she starts to cry nonstop and I give her a hug as she is still crying.

“Thank you.” whispering in my ear.