Out of the Zone | Teen Ink

Out of the Zone

January 31, 2018
By Natalie22 BRONZE, Burien, Washington
Natalie22 BRONZE, Burien, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


The world’s a harsh and cold place where people are used to going in a straight line, never wanting to take a different route. I used to be like that, scared to get out of the route I knew and followed for most of my life till Molly got me out of it. She’s the only one who always tried new things. Every time she came back she would tell me all her crazy stories. Molly went swimming with sharks, skydiving, cliff jumping and so much more, always put her life at risk and wouldn’t think twice of doing it. One day Molly invited me to go with her so that I could experience the rush of adrenaline that she gets when she does all her crazy things.


  “Come on, Dennise. Come with me to Hawaii,” Molly begged.


“I don’t know, Molly. I have work and this is out of nowhere,” I said.


“But don’t you want to experience the rush and get out of your old and boring routine.” Molly said.


“Yes, I do but-” I said


“No but you’re coming with you to Hawaii. You’re going to have fun and add a little bit of danger in your life.” Molly said.        


I agreed and started to pack for my trip with Molly but in my head, I was already regretting my choice thinking of what if the plane crashed, or I end up in the hospital with a broken body part, or get kidnapped. I shake my head to stop thinking of that and continue packing. When I finished packing I put my suitcase next to my door and went to bed to see if this was just a dream that I wasn’t really going to Hawaii with Molly. I wake up to a text from Molly telling me that she’ll be at my house in an hour. I roll over to my side, pull the covers over my head, and roll into a ball not believing that I’m actually going through with this. I pull the covers off my head and get up to get ready to leave.


*Doorbell ring’s*


“Hurry up, Dennise!” Molly yells.


“I’m coming.” I say while running to open the door.


“You won’t believe what we are doing in Hawaii,” She says while walking in the house.


“What?” I ask.


“We’re going to swim with stingrays, go cliff jumping, skydiving, and other stuff,” She said with a look of excitement on her face.


“Oh really?” I said with a fake smile.


         Why did I agree to go with Molly on this crazy trip? I’m starting to think that doing stuff out of my comfort zone isn’t for me, this is Molly’s thing not mine. During the plane ride Molly went on and on about of all the activities that we would do but all I could think about was excuses to use. The plane landed and we got into a car to drive us to the hotel. When I entered the room the first thing I saw was the king-sized bed, the sun shining throw the curtains and a sweet aroma of rose’s. I took off my shoes and socks, when my feet touched the carpet it felt like I was standing on clouds. When I went to lay in the bed I was letting my body sink in but before my eyes fully closed I heard a loud knock and someone yelling my name, it was Molly. I went to go open the door and she barged in talking about all the different things we should do. I wanted to tell her I would sit on the sidelines and just watch her do them but I saw the look on her face that she was excited to finally do all this stuff with someone, I couldn't work up the courage to tell her no so I went along with it.

         The first activity on her list was swimming with whale sharks. I’m not going to lie I was scared, I started to feel my palms sweat, my face turned red, and start to feel hot. I didn’t want Molly notice that I was scared. I wasn’t going to back out and keep on doing my old boring routine. This was my chance to feel the adrenaline that other people felt. I wasn’t going to be that boring person no more.


“You know Dennise, I always get nervous before doing this type of stuff,” she said.


“Really!” I said with a shocked expression.


“Yes, but it makes me feel more alive when I get it over with,” Molly said.


“I’m nervous, Molly,” I said while looking down.


“I know,” She said while giving me a hug.


“I don’t know if I can do this,” I nervously said.


“Yes, you can, you gotten this far already. You don’t want to look back and think about what if,” Molly answered.


         I pulled myself together and started to put the gear on to go in the water. Molly was right I don’t want to look back and keep telling myself what if I did it. We got in the water and waited for the whale sharks to come but nothing appeared. We stayed there for 10 minutes and still nothing.  I started to think that it was going to happen and I felt sort of relief but then I felt something touching my leg. Molly pointed down to my leg and it was a whale shark. It was the most beautiful thing that I have ever saw. I knew now what Molly felt each time she did something like this, you felt more alive. It doesn’t matter if you don’t get out of your normal routine each time you want to feel alive but it’s good to try new things once in a while. This was my experience of getting out of my comfort zone and each time I’m happy that Molly got me to do it.