The Money | Teen Ink

The Money

By MachoNacho BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
MachoNacho BRONZE, Erie, Colorado

The Money

It was David's first time back in the outside world in 16 years. He was standing outside the prison, he looked left...then right. He wasn’t expecting anyone to be waiting for him, not after what he had done. He knew that he needed help, so he started walking to hopefully what was Chicago.

He held out his thumb for hours, no one stopped.
He didn’t blame them, it’s probably not the best idea to pick up a hitchhiker just a few miles from a prison. Thank God it was the beginning of summer, Chicago's winter is the equivalent of Antarctica.

David made it to the edge of the city just before the sun went down. He had nowhere to go, no one trusted him. David decided that he would go sleep in the park tonight since the weather was nice, tomorrow he was going to figure something out.

Before David was incarcerated, he worked for the Chicago Mob. They had him  run errands around town. The last job he did he hid a bag with half a million dollars in it. He hid it somewhere where no one could find it just in case he got into a sticky situation and he needed a quick and easy out of town.

David knew that there were many risks if he got his bag. If the Big Boss found out, he would definitely find David. There is also the chance that the money got destroyed or stolen. Either way it was his only option.
David went to the building where he hid it. The building looked intact, that was a good sign that the money was safe. He found the wall where he hid it, he picked up a folding chair from the ground and put a hole in the wall. Sure enough inside was the bag safe and sound.

David knew that he couldn’t spend it all at once or spend it on expensive things, that would attract too much attention. So he decided to go buy a used car first. Since he didn’t want to walk David decided to take the train. He went to the train station and waited for the next train. He was standing by the bench when he got this eerie feeling that somebody was watching him. He turned and looked across the tracks to find a young man on a bench staring at him. The boy couldn’t be older than about 20, David was staring the kid down to intimidate him. Then a train passed through them.

David made it to the dealership later that afternoon, he bought a used 2002 Toyota Camry for 4,000 dollars. It was a great car to keep a low profile. Now he needed a decent place to stay. It was already past 5 so most relators were closed, he would have to spend the night somewhere in his car.

David woke up early, he didn’t want to get stuck in traffic so he got a head start. He was about 5 blocks away from the train station in some lower class neighborhood. He was driving by the park when all of the sudden someone jumped out into the street in front of him. It was the same kid from the train station! The kid took off running towards the train station. Now David was worried that The Big Boss was on to him and had one of his goons tracking him. He needed to investigate.

David was renting a small 2 bedroom apartment not too far from downtown. Things were going great, all he needed was a steady job. But before he could go any further, he needed to find out who the mystery kid was. David assumed that the kid took the train a lot. So he planned to wait all day at the train station where he first saw him. He didn’t trust leaving his bag anywhere so he took it with him everywhere he went. David waited all day for the kid to show up, but he never did. It was getting late and David was getting ready to go home. He got on the last train to the parking lot and sat down. He looked to his left and sure enough there was the mystery kid, sitting by the door.

David got up and sat in front of him, the kid looked up and froze with fear when he made eye contact. David noticed that the kid had the same backpack as his, he knew something was up. He looked straight into the kid’s eyes and ask him who he was? What he was doing? Why he was doing it? Before the kid could answer the train stopped, more people boarded and they were passing right through them. As the people passed through the kid got up picked up one of the bags and slipped through the doors as they were closing. David starred the kid down as the train was leaving.

David sat back down, he picked up his bag and put it next to him. Something wasn’t right, his bag seemed lighter than usual. He looked inside it and found a bunch of notebooks and pencils. The little rat stole his bag, it was a set up! When David got off the train he screamed and punched the hood of his car over and over again. The Big Boss was definitely behind this, David wouldn’t let him get away with it. He was going to find that kid ruin his life.

David went to the train station the next morning. Hopefully the Kid was going to be there. David was hiding behind some trees near by. He waited all morning long, no sign of the kid. Then from the corner of his eye he saw the kid walk up and sit on the bench in front of him, he had the bag with him. David planned to know the kid out and take him back to his apartment. He slowly walked up behind the kid and knocked him out cold with a 2x4.

He took the kid back to his place and taped the kid to a chair. He turned of all the lights and shined one lamp on the kid. When the kid woke up he looked around and squinted. David got closer to the kid and punched him in the gut, he repeatedly asked the kid WHO ARE YOU? WHO DO YOU WORK FOR? The kid just coughed and told him he didn’t mean to steal the bag. David finally stopped beating him. He sat down in a chair and asked the kid what his name was. The kid told him, he froze in his chair. He turned and looked at the kid and asked him what his mother’s name was. The kid told him. David got up and walked around the room, he walked over to the kid, leaned into his ear and told him....”hello son”

This is a sequel to the first one I wrote called "The Bag"