Silver Savior | Teen Ink

Silver Savior

By JordenR99 BRONZE, Blum, Texas
JordenR99 BRONZE, Blum, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Not everything is going to go my way and not everyone gets a happily-ever-after. Life is real and sometimes it's ugly and you just have to learn how to cope. I'm going to accept it with a dose of you indifference, and move on." --- Colleen Hoover ---

I glared at the backs of the bullies, the tyrants of my school, as I picked up my fallen books from the ground. I stood, pushed my glasses back up on my nose, walked out the school doors and headed toward the evil that I knew was waiting for me outside. My name is Aspen Silver, I got my name because when I was born my mother said I reminded her of nature, and that it seemed like I was glowing silver. I am a small, thin girl with auburn hair that stands about 5 foot 5 inches tall. My bright blue eyes are always hidden behind the black rims of my glasses, which slides down my nose because my gaze is always on the ground, hence the reason I’m a target for bullies.
As I made my way toward my car I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, warning me. I picked up my pace and quickly threw my car into drive and sped out of the parking lot. I kept driving toward the bad sensation, as I turned a sharp corner in the middle of the city the dreadful feeling hit me like train. I slammed on my brakes and came to a halt by an alleyway. I pulled off the road to avoid the many complaining horns that were honking at my sudden braking. I took a deep breathe trying to prepare for what I might see. I slowly stood out of my car searching for the bad thing that brought me here.
It was too dark outside for me to see clearly into the alley, but there was a faint street light at the far end, and what I thought looked like a couple of figures. I cautiously crept toward the figures trying to conjure up as much strength as I could to face them. As I was dawdling to get there I felt Air, cool on my face, Earth beneath my feet was strong and sturdy, Water that dripped off the roof from recent rain hydrated my skin, and the heat from the faint lamp was magnified by Fire.  I felt my steps getting more confident and steady as the elements filled me with the strength and courage I was desperate for.
When I got close enough, I distinguished that it was a large, mammoth of a man and a petite, cowering girl. I quickened my strides and in a matter of seconds I was right in front of them. The girl’s face was petrified and her terrified gaze slid to mine. I saw the pleading in her eyes and immediately knew that this was the reason for the bad sensation I had. The large man turned toward me; his eyes were unusually dark, they frightened me to the point of wanting to flee as soon as I saw them. An angrier scowl grew on his face once he realized I wasn’t leaving, he took a step toward me. I was just about to run when I heard the girl whimper. My eyes traveled to the knife that was placed at her throat. My anger started growing, overpowering the fear. I felt the pulse of the elements. They were quivering with impatience, waiting for me to call them to my aid.
I returned my focus on the man and girl. He had retreated a few steps and I realized there was a door not too far behind him. I closed my eyes briefly and instantly felt the power rushing through my body. When I opened my eyes I saw that both of their eyes were wide and I knew I was glowing. I saw the aura of silver illuminating the alleyway and bouncing off the walls and windows. A flicker of movement caught my eye and brought my thoughts back to why I was here. The man started toward the door dragging the girl with him.
I quickly reacted and commanded the wind to force them apart. The surprising gust of air yanked the girl from the man's grip. He didn’t think twice about her and darted for the door. When he opened the door I made a sweeping gesture toward his feet and instantaneously there were small vines slithering around his ankles. He struggled to get free and he fell on his face. I heard him grunt and I stepped toward him. I made a small swirling motion with my wrist and the water from the puddles around us started trembling. The water rose from the ground and I waved it toward the man that was still squirming in the vine’s grasp. The water poured onto him. He looked similar to a nasty wet dog now and the thought made me smirk.
I glanced toward the girl who I had been trying to save and saw she was still standing there with a look of awe and amusement on her, what was frightened, face. I turned my head back to the man to make sure he was still tangled up. As soon as I looked away from him I felt the ripping of the vines in every part of my body and it took everything in me not to screech. My entire body was shaking and I spun back toward the door and the man was gone. I sprinted to the door and flung it open. There was a flight of stairs just inside and that was the only way to go so I went as fast as I could up those stairs. When I got to the top I tentatively opened the door slowly.
The wind was whipping my hair around and my face was getting sprinkled by the rain that had just started and I could hardly see out of my glasses. I searched the rooftop for the man. When I finally spotted him it looked like he was trying to find an escape route. I saw that there were lamps and it calmed me a little when I drew energy from them. I tiptoed forward to see if he would hear me but he couldn’t because the wind was howling so loudly. Before I could take another step I heard a click behind me. I twisted my neck to see what it was. The girl had followed me up the stairs. I motioned for her to leave but she shook her head so I put my finger to my lips to say be quiet. The man was walking toward the edge of the building so I followed him silently. When he got to a corner I made myself known by yelling, “Stop!”
He froze in his place and whirled around to face me. I lifted my hands up and the lamps around us exploded into flames. They floated hauntingly toward the man and his eyes widened in fear. He ran toward me and started to shove me when the flames ran right in front of him, you could smell burnt hair. I nodded my head forward and he was thrown on the ground by the might of the burst of wind. I had him cornered, stomping to his side and just about to get more vines to tie him up I felt him jerk my ankle. When he did I stumbled and lost my footing. I grappled for the building but it was too late, I was falling. I thought it was over when I felt someone catch my wrist. I looked up and the girl was staring back down at me. I knew she couldn’t hold on much longer so I put as much power into the gust of air that threw me back onto roof. The man was getting up but I got to him before he stood. When he realized I hadn’t fallen like he planned a scowl crossed his face. I scowled right back and pulled my arm back and hit him right in the nose, and this time it wasn’t with my elements. I was too angry to pay attention to the pain that was throbbing through my hand. I was able to get vines to drag him back to the ground and called the police. When we got to ground level I looked at the girl and thanked her, “I can’t tell you how much I owe you. I would have died up there if you hadn’t followed me. My name is Aspen Silver by the way.”
“Oh, gosh you’re so welcome! I don’t even want to know what would’ve happened to me if you hadn’t shown up. Thank you so much! And my name is Octavia; it’s nice to meet you.”
With a smile and a wave I turned to walk back toward my car knowing that this wasn’t the last time something bad like this would happen.

Sometimes... the most unsuspecting people are heros...