My Crucifixion: A Dream? | Teen Ink

My Crucifixion: A Dream?

By Terror22 BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Terror22 BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

My Crucifixion: A Dream?

We were driving down the road to investigate the barren wasteland every citizen of Houston, Texas is so afraid of and why so many people have mysteriously disappeared. Todd and Kayleigh were in the front, arguing on what to name their new baby. I sat in the back staring out the window while cars passed by. It was a bright, sunny morning, no clouds in the sky and no reason why we should be scared of what lay ahead.
I almost jumped out of my skin. “Sorry about us fighting Hayden,” Kayleigh said.
“No big deal. I’m used to it with my friends. Are you sure you want to investigate with us? I don’t want you or the baby getting hurt,” I asked.
She said, “Oh yeah its fine. I don’t want the baby to stop me from doing everything fun and dangerous.”
“Alright. But if you do get hurt, don’t say I didn’t warn you.” I continued to stare of the window, imagining the horrors of what was in store. I pulled the dagger from the side of my leg and played with it. I only had it for protection; I would only use it unless I had to.
While riding, the sky became dark way too quickly. Clouds rolled by in shades of black and gray. No cars were on the road, and nothing was seen in the distance. But the thing that caught my attention the most was the giant lumps of dirt lining both sides of the road. They seemed to go on for miles.
“Kayleigh, you should stay here. We’ll call you when we know it’s safe,” I said.
Todd said, “I agree. We should keep you and Adrianne safe.”
Kayleigh said, “Excuse me, we did not agree on that name. And I want to help you guys.”
“I know but it’s for your own good and protection,” I informed.
“Fine, you guys be careful.” Afterwards, Todd and I left her and began searching for clues to our mystery. I was cautious of my surroundings, hoping that nothing was about to come get me. Nothing seemed peculiar for a while, but I began to smell something. It smelled like something rotting, like a five-week old meat lover’s sandwich. Then I saw it: the giant lumps that I’d seen earlier were actually dead bodies.
I replied, “Todd, I think I just figured out why no one should ever come down this road.” I pointed at the bodies.
His expression became scared. I had a feeling he was screaming as much as I was inside. “You’ve got your daggers ready?” He asked.
I pulled out the second one from behind me. Then we walked on. We came upon a few crosses, at least three, and a figure walked up to us, slowly and cautiously. It stopped in front of us, and pulled off the hood of its robe. It was lady, with long, stringing grey hair and wrinkles all over her face and neck. She smiled in a creepy way and began to speak. Her voice was very raspy.
“Welcome to the Dead lands.” She held up a tray full of meat and vegetables. “I’m here to feed you. We have a show for you afterwards.”
I asked, “Who are you, and why are there dead bodies everywhere?”
The lady replied, “I’m Hazel, and don’t worry about it Hayden. All we’re going to do is fatten you up and crucify you.”
I felt like a bag of bricks just hit me in the head and knocked me unconscious. Crucify me? I didn’t want to die, I’m only fifteen. After thinking about it for a while, I realized why there were so many dead bodies.
Todd asked, “Crucify us? Why?” I could tell he was scared by the sound of his voice. I figured he was scared for his wife and his daughter.
“Because we like death and entertainment. And what better way to enjoy both by killing the idiots who come down that road?” Hazel said.
I swung my knife at her, and it cut a gash across her whole face. “You will not murder any more innocent people!” I swung again, but I missed because she moved. She looked at me with intense hatred.
“You shouldn’t have done that,” Hazel warned. I got scared and ran as fast as I could to the rocks, Todd directly behind me. We spotted a crevice and hid there, breathing heavily.
Todd said, “We have to kill them.”
“I agree, but how?” I asked.
“Hayden, use your brain. They’re zombies, or humans that act like zombies. So it should be easy for you to stab them,” he said.
I replied, “True. It should be easy considering I’m quick. I just hope Kayleigh’s alright, which kind of makes me glad we left her behind.”
“Yeah. So we’re good on the plan?”
“Yes! I’m ready to kill some killers,” I exclaimed, but as quietly as I could.
Todd said, “I couldn’t agree more. Now, let’s go.” Then we slowly walked out of the rocks. The coast was clear for a while, until we came upon the area where the crosses were standing. There were at least ten zombie/humans standing near the entrance of the rocked area, kill looks on their faces.
“Still want to do this?” I was screaming on the inside.
Todd answered, “Yep. If we don’t, no one else will.” We walked up to the zombies and I stabbed the closest one to me, and blood splattered in my face. That was definitely a sign that they were human. The zombie fell to the ground with a thud, lying there lifeless, blood spilling out of his chest.
“Well now we know they’re not zombies, but they sure do smell like it,” I said, with a disgusted look across my face.
Todd replied, “I agree.”
Hazel said, “Oh, now you’re going to pay.”
“You keep thinking that,” and I stabbed her and her buddy next to her. They fell to the ground as well, looks of anger frozen on their faces. I then went on a killing spree. I murdered the remaining seven in five minutes. I felt bad for murdering people, but the thousands of people lying dead on the sides of the road had their justice served, so I looked past it.
“You did the right thing; don’t feel bad,” Todd said.
“I don’t care; justice was served,” I replied.
Todd said, “Well, let’s get out of here. These dead bodies are creeping me out.” So we left and made it back to the car. Kayleigh saw us, worry covering her face.
“Where have you been? It’s been to hours. And Hayden, why are you covered in blood?”
“Well, long story short, we figured out the mystery of all these dead bodies everywhere. Now let’s get out of here,” I replied. Then we jumped in the car and drove home.

I woke with a jerk and found myself in a hospital bed. Kayleigh and Todd were sitting next to me, their eyes staring up at me.
“Hayden, you’re awake! We thought something terrible had happened,” Kayleigh exclaimed.
I said, “What are you talking about? How did I get here? What happened to the desert and dead bodies?”
Todd said, “Hayden, sweetheart what mean dead bodies? You’ve been unconscious for the past three days. We found you with a knife in your hand and jerking around in bed. We got scared and brought you to the hospital. Ever since then you’ve been asleep, not talking at all.”
“Do you not remember what happened?” Kayleigh asked.
Everything was a blur except for the attempted crucifixion. Had it all been a dream? Was I really unconscious for three days? Did I just have a nightmare that made me go crazy? What the heck really happened these torturous few days?