A Portrait | Teen Ink

A Portrait

By TheRebell SILVER, Piscataway, New Jersey
TheRebell SILVER, Piscataway, New Jersey

Ah… hello there. I welcome you, my fellow readers to an event in my life. Now this is avery important event, which unraveled many secrets for me and now, for you. Oh dear, where are my manners?! My name is Harrison Borjouron and I am a detective. That is correct readers. I solved crimes and mysteries for anyone willing to pay some cash. And that day was like no other, tell a portrait got involved. Yes, something as simple as a portrait changed my life forever. It all began on the seventh of January, 1964 New York City.

I was sitting at my desk just waiting for someone with a big case and a bigger check. I was beginning to run short on money and customers. Thankfully, someone appeared at that second. He seemed to be some kind of big shot guy, wearing a designer suit, an expensive pair of sunglasses, and a Rolex watch. He walked straight in while holding a briefcase. The man sat down and began to speak. "My name is John Bournavich sir, and I have a very important case for you".Though it seemed peculiar I decided to hear the man out.After all, it was my duty to do so. I told him to take a seat and tell me the case."I am accused of arson, murder, and theft. I wish to clear my name."I was shocked but once I saw the number he was writing on his checkbook. I agreed to help him.

The first step was to look for evidence that could help his case. He told me that most of his files of him and his family were in the basement. Thankfully not the attic, seeing as how I have a fear of heights. It came from my father really. He was Mark Karl Borjouron. A professional detective whose end went wrong. It was his final case where he had solved it, but to late. By the time he did he, his client, and the villain were all dead. But never mind that,back to the story. I was looking for John's background information. His line of work, previous incidents, anything that could show that he was an innocent man. Thats when I saw it.

The family portrait. It seemed to be from the 1700's and was covered in layers of dust. I cleaned to check his family and if they were a line of criminals. I reviewed his grand father's name; Harry Jokarn. I had heard that name before but I just couldn't place it. I decided to see his fathers name;Mark Karl Borjouron. And then it hit me, like a why I saw my name right under that along with John's. We were brother's; one raised by the father, the other by his uncle. I quickly understood why, my father was fighting crime while my uncle created it. I could picture it in my head. My uncle running of with John, him growing up in a criminal family, choosing to ignore the crime and live an honest life. The police pinning the crime on John because of his heritage, and his uncle final locating him again. Which could only that John probably was not the murderer but was about to be murdered. I ran upstairs, and saw specks of blood. It was the scariest moment of my life; had I really just lost a brother who I had recently found? Then I heard screaming I ran into the kitchen and I saw John and a man who I had never seen before fighting. It seemed John might overcome him, but I was wrong. The intruder gave a strong uppercut and knocked John backwards. I had to run in and help my brother, and I did just that; I ran and jumped on the mans back and threw him into the fridge. John hit him once with a strong right hook and he was stunned enough for me to slip some hand cuffs on him. He tried to run and I politely asked him not to. When he didn't listen I pulled out my pistol and asked again. This time though, he listened Both of us knew that we just couldn't call the police otherwise John might get falsely charged with murder. It was a case I would have to deal with myself.I didn't want to but I had to do it; I put the man in my car and drove him to the outskirts of town and threw him out. Someone should be able to find him there and if not, oh well.

Unfortunately by the time you finish reading this I will probably be dead, murdered to be specific. But not to worry, for my end was near anyway. But if John is still alive, show him this story and explain to him what had happened. For I have not seen him since that murderer tried to kill him. Farewell readers, and remember "A smile can get you far, but a gun can get you further"-Al Capone.