Fireworks | Teen Ink

Fireworks

By Ilostmysenseofhumor BRONZE, Galway, Other
Ilostmysenseofhumor BRONZE, Galway, Other
1 article 1 photo 7 comments

"The best things in life are not those that make you feel comfortable or happy, they are the things that force you to grow and push the boundaries you have unknowingly set in your mind."

I see the light burning its way through the chilly night air, and gasp at the vividness of it all. The world around it is all black and blue and muted greens. Sleeping, waiting colours, their slumber interrupted by the Fireworks.
The boy beside me says they're no good, cheap. But to me they're beautiful.
I've never seen anything like this before. It's like bombs injected with colour, going of in the sky. They are bright, frazzled, dizzy colours, a worlds worth of frustrated energy taken out on the sky. They dive and explode, ascending for only a moment before crashing to the earth once more, only to release at the last moment. As I stand there gazing, I begin to shiver as the temperature drops to minus numbers, totally oblivious as everyone else leaves, too cold to resist their warm houses anymore.
I stay as long as possible until I'm sure there's no more to fire off.
I turn around, gathering my coat from where it lies behind me. Tucking it under my arm I take the first step towards the house when I hear the whistling sound of one last light.
It's red, the only one of that colour all night. It flies higher and higher into the sky until I wonder if it will stop. Then suddenly it explodes, right there in front of my eyes, hundreds of feet up. It springs out, throwing out it's tangled limbs as far as it can reach, pushing farther and farther into the night. It looks as if it robbed the light and beauty of everything around it, sucking it greedily towards itself.

This is a short piece I wrote a few months back.
I wanted to start small with something that's a little less personal, so, here it is!

on Sep. 1 2013 at 6:44 pm
Superhero_Fan SILVER, Tomorrowland, California

"Impossible; for How many people did you know who refracted your own light to you?” - Fahrenheit 451

I know the feeling! Well, I can't wait to read more of your work. :)

on Aug. 13 2013 at 12:29 am
nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Great job! I love your usage of detail! Sweetie, it is unfortunate but I do not have the time to write a right proper reveiw right now, so if you remind me I will be more than happy to do that for you!

on Aug. 12 2013 at 5:30 pm
1 article 1 photo 7 comments

Thank you so much!!! Sorry for the mistakes, after proofreading it a couple times the words start to mush together and I always seem to miss something!

on Aug. 12 2013 at 1:51 pm

I thought this was really good! This reminded me of something I experienced at camp this year. There were about fifty kids and me on a hill, and we were pretty far away from the fireworks, but about halfway through one of them tipped or something and hit a tree. It didn't catch on fire and I wasn't really scared... until the next firecracker. The next one tipped in our direction and nearly hit a bunch of the girls in front of me. It missed them by about seven inches, and we were all very thankful. The rest of the display went on with no more problems, and a few of the boys even moved closer! But about your fireworks, good job! The only thing I might look at would be where you said 'of' instead of 'off', and where you used 'colour' twice. If you wanted to use it twice, I suggest you separate them a little more. You captured my interest, and finished it brilliantly. Great job!

on Aug. 10 2013 at 3:53 pm
1 article 1 photo 7 comments

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

on Aug. 9 2013 at 3:41 pm
paigeswifka GOLD, Goose Creek, South Carolina
I love this piece. It's so beautiful and vivid. It feels like i'm sitting and standing where the narrator is and you get to "experience" what the narrotor is feeling. The details used really tied the piece together.