The Wolves' Bane | Teen Ink

The Wolves' Bane

April 1, 2013
By Phantomgirl BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
Phantomgirl BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

The wolf raced through the forest, anxious to alert Lucien, the Alpha, of what he had just seen. The thudding of his paws against the forest floor was rhythmical. Thud-thud, thud-thud, thud-thud. Twigs snapped under the weight of his paws. The wind shifted, and blew leaves up all around him as he hurtled a fallen tree. Soon, he picked up a scent he recognized -- yes, it was Lucien. He followed the scent. The wolf knew that he must be close, because the scent suddenly got stronger, and then, he saw the others running with Lucien. Finally, the wolf reached his side.

"Archer," Lucien said to the wolf. "Where have you been?"

"I was checking the perimeter, making sure the Outcasts weren't hunting here," Archer explained. "Then, I came across some blood, so I followed the trail."

"And...?" Lucien prompted.

Archer hesitated. "I saw Ember finishing off Blair." The wolves halted suddenly, and howled in despair for the loss of their brother.

Lucien growled. "We must put an end to this. Ember has murdered too many of his own kind."

A brown wolf stepped forward. "Lucien," he started, "Ember may be deranged, but he's still my brother. My blood brother. Can't we leave him alone?"

"Leave him alone? Brody, do you want to wait until he has killed everyone here? Even you?" Questioned Archer. Brody just simply looked away.

"It's settled," said Lucien. "We hunt Ember tonight. Brody," Brody directed his attention to the Alpha, "You don't have to help with Ember. We know Vic will be involved, so just watch out for him and protect our backs."

"You can't expect me to just stand there and let you kill my brother!" Brody exclaimed, disgusted. "I won't do it!"

Lucien assumed a taller position and said, "You will be there tonight, you will help, and you won't complain about it!" The other wolves shrank back and cowered in fear, but Brody stood his ground.

"Then I'll leave," he said, then strode away.

Lucien stared after him, stupefied. No wolf had ever voluntarily left the pack. Lucien growled and addressed the pack, "Would anyone else like to leave?" No one uttered a sound. "No? Good. We meet back here tonight. Don't follow me." He fumed off, with his ears back and his hackles up, going in a direction that would ensure that he wouldn't run into Brody.

"I think he's mad, Fleck," one wolf whispered to a female wolf.

"Yes, Coran, I think he might be a little bit upset," she retorted.

Brody raced against time to find his brother and warn him. He headed to where Ember's cave was, and hoped that he didn't cross paths with Vic, the ferocious leader of the Outcasts.

As Brody was running, Fleck and Coran came up behind him. The light thudding of their paws brought their presence to Brody's attention.

"What are you two doing here? You shouldn't have left the pack; you'll get yourselves killed," said Brody.

"First of all, we did not leave the pack. Of course, Lucien just might kill us for helping you," Fleck said.

"What are you doing here?" Brody repeated angrily.

Fleck rolled her eyes. "I told you; we're helping you. You can't protect Ember by yourself."

Brody sighed. "And you're willing to risk your lives to save him?"

"No," Coran said, "But we're willing to get Vic to help you."

Brody froze in his tracks. No one ever asked help from Vic, unless, of course, you were an Outcast.

"Yes, because that would be so smart," Brody said sarcastically. "But how do you know Vic, anyway?"

"Let's just say he's a family friend," Fleck explained. "Look, do you want his help or not?"

Brody contemplated this. He knew he was defenseless against Lucien and his pack, but nothing could stop him from saving his brother. "Fine. Take me to Vic," he relented. Fleck led the way, with Brody and Coran following.

When they approached Vic's cave, Coran howled to alert Vic of their arrival. The hideous wolf emerged and trotted toward where they stood. His coat was mangy, with huge chunks of missing fur. The skin that showed was covered in sores, cuts, and scars. Brody noticed that Vic's right eyes was clouded over, indicating blindness. At first sight, anyone would think that this skinny, ragged wolf was useless in a fight, but Brody knew all too well that Vic was extremely powerful.

"How are you, my children?" Vic asked in a raspy voice.

"Very well, Father," Fleck answered, respectfully, as she bowed her head.

"Wait... Vic's your father?" Brody said, shocked.

No one answered him. Coran explained the situation about Ember to Vic. "Father, Lucien is hunting Brody's brother, Ember, tonight. We were wondering if you would be so kind as to help stop him."

"Of course, my son. That wolf has been the bane of my existence for years. It's time we settled the score, once and for all," Vic said. "Brody, you find Ember and bring him here. I'll take care of the rest." Vic took off.

"I don't want Lucien dead!" Brody exclaimed. "I just want my brother to be safe."

"It's too late now," Fleck said. "Let's go, Coran." They ran away to join Lucien and the others.

Brody gave up, and set off to find Ember, figuring he would be somewhere far away from the other packs' territories. Brody only knew of one place, near an avalanche site that most wolves stayed clear of. When Brody reached Ember, he saw him pacing. Brody didn't know how to approach his brother, knowing that one wrong move would seem threatening to Ember, who, in turn, might attack him. So Brody called Ember's name gently, but loud enough for Ember to hear. Ember stopped pacing and raised his head toward his brother. Not one note of recognition crossed Ember's face. When he continued to pace, Brody slowly approached Ember.

"Ember?" Brody said. "Don't you remember me?"

"I know who you are," Ember replied, still pacing. "You belong to Lucine's pack."

"Yes, but you remember my name, right?" That I'm your brother?" Brody prompted.

Ember froze and commenced his pacing once more.

Brody gave up trying to bring back Ember's memories. "Look, Ember, you can't go around killing all these wolves, especially not the ones in packs. Lucien's going to kill you...tonight. Come with me, so you can be safe."

Brody noticed that Ember wasn't really paying attention. Brody stepped into Ember's path, and simply said, "Please, come with me." Brody saw that Ember didn't understand anything, and, with an exasperated sigh, he turned away to head back to Vic and explain. But Ember still followed Brody back to Vic's cave.

Lucien gathered the pack, when the time had come. Fleck and Coran had arrived before he noticed their absence. He explained his plan, how they would execute the attack. Lucien was certain that Ember would be with Vic at his cave, so he had a few wolves go ahead of him to secure the perimeter, and then he would lead the rest of the pack to ambush the two from all sides.

Soon, the wolves he had sent ahead, returned and reported that the area was clear. When the pack reached the trees before the clearing where the cave was, they fell into their positions. Lucien waited until either Vic, or Ember emerged, to give the signal. Neither wolf appeared for several minutes. Then, Lucien heard a low growl from behind him. He turned his head in the direction of the growl. It was Vic, getting ready to pounce on him. Lucien didn't have time to think, and Vic took his opportunity to attack. No one could help Lucien, because for every wolf in his pack, there were two Outcasts fighting them.

Vic ordered the Outcasts not to attack Fleck or Coran, who were perched on the rocks above the cave's opening. Brody came out of the cave to see the fight. He was numb with pain over the violent massacre he was witnessing. He saw Vic and Lucien, fighting, about ten feet away from the cave entrance. Both, were covered in blood. Other wolves, his pack brothers and sisters, were being annihilated, and there was nothing he could do about it. He whined, disgusted with himself. Fleck jumped down from her perch to join him.

"This is for the best, Brody," she began. "It's just a part of Vic's plan, so this would have happened anyway. He wants all of the packs gone, so that we'll have free reign of the mountain territory."

"This was Vic's plan all along?" Brody asked, horrified. "He didn't want to protect Ember, he wanted to ambush Lucien's pack! Why?"

"The intention wasn't for Archer to witness Blair's death by Ember's jaw. It was just dumb luck. We used the situation to convince you to bring Ember to Vic's cave. What a beautiful tragedy.....the old Alpha, Vic, defeats the current Alpha, Lucien," Fleck said gleefully. "Oh, I almost forgot. Coran," she glanced at her brother, "Deal with that, would you?" She nodded her head toward a large, gray wolf, crouching down at the mouth of the cave.

Brody turned around just in time to see Coran snap the neck of the unsuspecting Ember.

"No!" He screamed. It was too late. Ember was dead.

Brody couldn't take it anymore. He leaped off the cave and dragged Vic off of Lucien. Vic started to brawl with Brody. But Brody didn't stand a chance against Vic, a former Alpha.

Vic ripped a huge chunk of flesh from Brody's neck. Brody's body went limp, like a rag doll. Lucien's rage welled up inside of him and he attacked Vic from behind. With the element of surprise on his side, Lucien was able to take down Vic. "This is for my son," said Lucien. And with a deep, guttural growl, he sunk his teeth deep into Vic's neck.

The fight was finally over. Without Vic, the Outcasts were timid, so they retreated into the woods. The remaining wolves, from Lucien's pack, circled around Brody's body.

Lucien pushed past the circle and said, "Let me mourn my son in private."

A look of shock crossed their faces. They left him, though, and murmured to one another about the new revelation. Lucien laid his head on the blood-matted body of his son and wept bitterly.

When the wolves had gone, Fleck and Coran skulked from the cave without being noticed by Lucien.

"Fleck," Coran began, when Lucien was out of earshot, "if Lucien was Brody's father, then isn't he Ember's father, too?"

"Brody and Ember shared the same mother, but not the same father. Ember's father was Vic," Fleck explained. "You killed our half-brother. Now you can take your rightful place as Alpha. All is as it should be," she said maniacally.

In horror, Coran let out a blood-curdling howl the echoed throughout the forest and the mountain.


The author's comments:
I originally wrote this as a composition assignment, but I thought the story had an interesting message; How far would you go to protect the ones you love? How far would you go to benefit yourself?