Sayonara | Teen Ink

Sayonara

By FatherDagon GOLD, SpringHill, Tennessee
FatherDagon GOLD, SpringHill, Tennessee

I'm not going to tell you how to live your life, but I am going to suggest how you should.

I quietly lit my cigarette and put it in between my lips. I was on guard and waiting for the enemy. I took the evil object out of my mouth and blew a smoke ring and placed the evil object back in between my luscious, small, red lips. I heard the sound of wheels and silently lifted my 50 caliber sniper up to my face and tried to find the doomed vehicle. Assassinations were not something I normally did, but the pay was good so what the heck. I aimed on the black limousine and sighed quietly as I let a tear slip down my face. I watched the sun rise this morning thinking, what am I doing? Then it hit me, I’m destroying lives. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to see my loving boyfriend behind me smiling and giving me the biggest puppy dog eyes he’s ever given me. I saw the vehicle approach at a faster pace, the Messiah Gauntlet’s symbol on the side and front of the vehicle standing out is what told me I was going to shoot at. I began to shake and my trigger finger slipped off the trigger from pure sweat every now and then. “I have an important meeting today for the army, so I’m gonna be leaving early is that fine with you?” I stared at his bright blue eyes and shaggy black hair for a minute watching as it swayed back and forth in the wind and shimmered like gold in the rising sun. “Yeah that’s fine I have somewhere to be today anyway.” “I love you so much.” “I love you too.” He bent down to my level and hugged me tightly, almost cutting off my air supply. I began to fully let the dam in my heart break and cry. “I’m so sorry, I wish we met under different circumstances” I silently pleaded to him and I hoped he would hear me. “This afternoon do you want to go to the amusement park; I heard a few new rides opened up.” I laughed and looked up at him with my green eyes sparkling from my laughter. “Maybe we’ll see how things end today.” I guess we won’t be going to that park. It’s not that I couldn’t do this; I just didn’t want to. The car was approaching quicker than before and I had to make a choice before it sped away and I failed my mission. I steadied my breathing and my aim. “I’m going to get ready okay?” “Alright.” I watched Rex walk back into the house and close the door after him. I sat on the porch and thought for a few moments on my mission today. Could I really assassinate him? Was this something I really wanted to? I mean the pay was nice, but what about the consequences? I silently walked to the door and threw my cigarette on the ground and stamped on it. I could kill him; he was probably like the rest and would leave me after getting what he wanted from me. I fired. Instantly the car stopped and pulled the man out of the car. I used the scope on my sniper to take a look at him one last time. I almost swallowed my cigarette. I felt a hand wrap around my waist and I felt a knife at my throat. “You really thought the army would be that stupid to actually have me in the car?” “I wish you and the army was that stupid.” Despite the situation I was stuck in now I was certainly glad that I shot a decoy and not the real deal. I felt Rex’s grip get tighter and the blade touched the skin on my throat. I leaned my head back more and looked at him. I met Rex at the door and kissed him on the lips. He pulled back and smiled at me, his blue eyes sparkling. “I’ll be home later today okay?” “Alright have a fun time.” I watched him turn the knob and walk out the doors of death. I waved good-bye and silently closed the door. I had to get ready myself for my mission. To assassinate Rex Milcove, my wonderful boyfriend. “If I kill you then I would never live with myself, but would you live with yourself if you killed me?” I did not know what to say to him. If I answered yes then he might kill me, but what if I answered no? “No.” “Then why did you try to kill me.” I felt his grip get tighter on my waist and the blade start sinking into my neck. “It was my mission! I didn’t want to fail. I could never live with myself if I killed you! Never!” I started to cry again. Was he really going to do it? Would I become another victim of deadbeat love, only this time with dire consequences? I climbed up the metal ladder at the side of one of the apartments in downtown Manhattan. It wasn’t a long climb to the top and when I finally did reach the top I began to run towards the edge of the building. Had it not been for the training I received I could have broken my arms and legs with the jump I made. I would continue this pattern of running on top of buildings to reach my destination point, there I would set up a small base of operations and begin my mission. “I followed you all the way here and watched you execute everything perfectly, but you had so many chances to take the shot and you hesitated. Why? That could get a soldier killed you know?” “I understand, but I just couldn’t do that to you. I love you so much Rex. I’m so sorry.” “I’m sorry for this too.” I felt the knife run across my throat. I felt a small part of me die as I died in my own pain.