Assassin for Hire: Recuperation | Teen Ink

Assassin for Hire: Recuperation

By sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut
sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut

Okay…I know they said they were only going to stay for a week, but the first four days of this said week, have felt like two months to me. It couldn’t possibly be the fact that they are here absolutely every hour of the day, showing up around ten am, and leaving promptly around ten pm, when that rolls around twelve hours later.

My mother has been cooking dinner, and much to my horror and dismay, James has been helping her out. Who knows what odd stories from my childhood and my current personal life are being thrown away, well it appears I will never know. Since after dinner is finished being prepared, I never hear a smidgen of the conversations that go on inside my kitchen during the actual preparation.

I suppose it could be worse than my parents sharing my personal life with my current…um, boyfriend. James could have always let slip that we were a duo of katana wielding psychopaths that went around chopping people’s heads off. Then again…I did always try to do my work in more elegant ways. Chopping off a head was so messy.

Yeah that was better, just tell mommy how much fun I had the other night at work. It could go a little something like this.

Mom: Oh Kara, how has work been lately.
Kara: Oh mom, I just love it. It’s almost art how I kill the people I kill, y’know a little bit something like how much you like arranging the food all pretty on the plate?
Mom: Oh, you. Excuse me, while I casually call the police and a mental institution.
Kara: Oh, mom~

Yeah…even my head, I can’t think of that in an entirely serious way. In all actuality, I think there would be a lot more screaming, tears and me flipping a s*** mentally and then possibly physically flipping some tables. Y’know, the norm for somebody who isn’t entirely mentally stable.

And I’m not going to get into some debate on how it’s impossible for anybody to be entirely mentally stable. We all know I’m a little bit special, when it comes to being a very contained crazy, weirdo. I save my anger and my joy for my work; it’s not my fault if I enjoy it a little bit more than the people around me would like to believe.

The people that know at least…actually, I don’t think most of my employers give a s*** how I feel, they pay me. That’s all I’m asking for.

I’m not about to ask them for a pat on the back, and for a, ‘Good job, sweetie. You sure showed that guy, Kara.” For one that would mean that they would know my actual name, and that might also include some creep patting me on the back. Both of which something I did not want happening anytime in the near or distant future.

Now at this particular moment in time though, I am content. It is eleven o’ clock, and I have already answered my parents’ prison call, now they’re going to bed or something interesting like that.

I am currently laying with my head in James’ lap, pretending to not pay attention to him, and trying to concentrate on what’s playing on the television currently. Some show on the Travel channel, that’s right Anthony Bourdain, you don’t need no stinkin’ reservations. So let’s just take a quick jump into what appears to be for once, a normal, workless Wednesday night, with my boyfriend.

“Are you actually paying any attention to this crap?” asked James, as he glanced down at me, and I tore my gaze from the screen, glancing back up to his blue-eyed gaze.

“Don’t call Anthony crap, he’s seriously funny, and I think he deserves some credit, after all he doesn’t need any reservations, and that guy no Man vs. Food is too nice anyways.” I grumbled, sticking my tongue out at him.

“It’s too loud; I don’t want to watch it.” He muttered, as he lifted the remote, and turned the volume down. Which caused me to pull a slightly distressed face, to which James placed the remote control out of my reach.

“Hey…that’s mean, I’m still healing, you know I can’t complete petty tasks, such as reaching for pieces of plastic.” I grumbled, reaching up and nicking him slightly on the chin.

There was a sort of odd look in his eye, before he bent forwards slightly, and I attempted to sit up, only to be pushed back slightly on my shoulder.

“No sitting allowed for the partially crippled.” He muttered with a smirk and a snicker, to which I opened my mouth to retaliate, something clever, I don’t quite know what it was going to be.

I would have had this fantastic witty remark, had he not grasped me lightly by the shoulders, and bent down causing me to stare. There was a pause, and then this was a natural thing. He tilted his head to the right…I tilted my head to…my right? And then our lips were pressed together, and eyes closed. There was a pause, and a few moments as this finished.

“Y’know…I don’t entirely mind that. But as stated before, I’m now allowed to sit. So I’m not allowed to make out either.” I grumbled, smirking and tilting my head away from his.

He moved in to kiss me again, to which I covered his mouth with my hand.

“Easy tiger, I’m still healing. Y’know, what with being partially crippled in all.” I said, as he gave his best puppy dog eyes, and a convincing whimper.

Letting go, I sighed. “Fine…a small one.” I muttered, sitting up a bit and pressing my mouth back to his. Before he tugged me to lie down next to him on the couch, and wound his arms around me, burying his face into my shoulders.

“Y’know…I could get used to this, James.” I muttered, as I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around his back, the pain killers were helping with the slight pain I was feeling in my lower abdomen.

“It’s warm, and it feels human…but more importantly, it’s you.” I finished, resting the side of my head against his, and sighing softly.

Never thought I would be saying that, and I never thought he would reply with what I heard next.

“I’m going to protect you…no matter what. I thought I nearly lost you, and I’m not going to let that happen to you again. I…” he paused, and pressed his face a bit harder into my shoulder.

“I love you, Kara Trent. Even if you drive me insane mentally and test my patience every hour of the day. I love you.” He finished, not moving his face.

I paused…damn, who knew two hearts could beat so fast. Well now I did…I didn’t mind, actually liked it.

“Well…I suppose that’s all fine and dandy, because I love you too James Williams.”

Yeah, ever mention I right these all at school during my free period? xD