Hunted - Part II | Teen Ink

Hunted - Part II

November 4, 2009
By Jack_Walton SILVER, Gray, Tennessee
Jack_Walton SILVER, Gray, Tennessee
6 articles 1 photo 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
In a mad world, only the mad are sane. - Akira Kurosawa


Then, Tarik caught the smell coming off Kharith.

Dark Elves' noses were, of course, better than others (most notably Humans), but combined with Tarik's training in learning of concealed weapons, he had learned of enchanted items. He had known in his training what enchanted items were, but in learning how to find them he gained the 'smell'. That was, each and every magical item he came across had a particular smell to it. It was strange, obviously, since the 'Magi' who governed the studies never talked about such a thing. But it was terribly effective, since Tarik could recognize an enchanted weapon and tell what it could do. And at that moment, Tarik could smell that the claws on Kharith's hands were imbued with electricity.

No wonder I wasn't able to see him! He threw a bolt of electricity at me! Tarik thought, but then another thought occurred to him. What if Kharith wasn't alone? It wasn't beyond possibility. After all, every time that the smiling Kharith had come to kill him he had brought another adversary for Tarik. First it had been the cocky Raev, then
the calmly toned shooter who had decided not to give a name. Both had taken skill to evade, since the shooter used two extremely powerful crossbows and Raev a scythe. But Kharith had not directly attacked Tarik himself...unless...

Tarik whipped around, sending a flurry of dust springing into the air. That could've been a good thing, too, since the dust landed in the burly man's eyes. The burly man who carried the huge axe around like it was a piece of straw. The man who had tried to sneak up on Tarik and kill him in his defense against Kharith.

Sensing his opportunity, Tarik struck, lashing out with a diagonal slash at the man's midsection. It could've landed, had it not been for the huge axe getting in the way. Quickly the Dark Elf discovered it wasn't by accident that the weapon had moved - the burly man was now eying Tarik furiously.

"Bugger," Tarik started to say as he was launched into the air.

While the Dark Elf was only in the air for a few moments, it was enough to cause extreme damage to his left leg which was, unfortunately, already damaged from the attack by Kharith. With an ear-splitting crack his left foot broke up the ankle. Tarik cried out, looking in dismay at the splintered bone jutting out from his foot. Blood then started to come from the wound, dropping onto the sun-blasted sand before disappearing as the ground drank up the salty liquid.