Demon | Teen Ink

Demon

I sit staring at the man as flames engulf him and his feet melt in lava. He screams at me to end it, to kill him. He doesn't know he's already dead.

I am a demon from the ninth layer of hell. I stand over 10 feet tall, have black scaly skin, horns like a ram and bat wings. I could burn a man alive or crush him with a hand. I will go to Earth soon. I am to start the apocalypse and bring hell to earth. A disaster of quite literally biblical proportions. As I think these things a lesser demon from the third layer of hell (No one likes these buggers) comes up and tells me I am to report to the Lord of Lies Asmodeus. “Why should I believe someone as worthless as you?” I drawl at him. He whimpers up at me “Please lord.” I sniff and fly off  toward Asmodeus' castle, the lesser being trailing behind. We land on the lord's balcony where he lounges in a beach chair wearing a pair of sunglasses. He is even bigger than me with huge black rams horns curling off his head, his skin a dark shade of red. “Hello Ben” he says sipping off a margarita “I see you found your new assistant Derhover” he says gesturing to the third level demon with a gleam in his eye. He takes a moment to gauge my reaction. I am screaming on the inside but let nothing show it'll be fine anyway. if the twerp gets in the way I'll just bulldoze him. I'm really just glad it's not some hot shot who thinks he's all that and might destroy something I need. I take a look at my new partner. He is small greenish brown with no horns and looks like an overly annoying booger. I flick a loose scale at him and he shrinks back whimpering. I laugh.  Then Asmodeus sighs and says well see ya then. He snaps his fingers and teleports me and the lesser demon to the mortal realm. As my eyes adjust to the lower light levels of the mortal night I look around. We are in the middle of a group of mortals wearing odd vests and goggles and carrying large bulky black logs. One shouts something raises and points his log at the lesser demon in the blink of an eye. He twitches his finger and the log shoots fire and makes thunder. The lesser demon is killed almost instantly. The man starts to switch to me as his men already have. I duck as they shoot their logs and use my tail to trip them all. I am not a lesser demon and while I may not have weapons that kill in the twitch of a finger, I am far faster than any mere mortal. I have killed the first one before the others have even begun to get up. The rest I crush with a few more swipes of my tail. I start to pick up one of the logs to inspect it when I see one last man. Standing a few hundred feet in front of me. His goggles have fallen off. I see his eyes and in them I see death. He has taken aim with his log. He stalks forward and his finger twitches once. I feel an impact in my chest and my arms suddenly feel weak. I start to sink to my knees. What is happening? I am a demon. I do not kneel for mere men. I try to get up but can’t. He shoots me 2 more times in the chest. I start to feel the pain. It burns and spreads from the initial impact of the first bullet. I see him switch his aim up. His fingers twitch twice and something ricochets off my head. Throwing it back hard. Nothing mortal should be able to do that to me. As I look back up he shoots me again in the head, throwing me on my back. He clicks something and shoots again. This time the fire comes from lower and there's more right before there is a huge impact in my stomach. I wake up seconds later the human walking toward me with a knife. I look at my chest and lower. I have no legs. My stomach is in shreds. I'm dying I realize. But how. It's not fair. Mortals can't kill me! Right? But the man with death in his eyes walks towards me with his knife and starts cutting at my heart. I start to feel numb. And then. nothing.