Warrior Princess and Her Retainer | Teen Ink

Warrior Princess and Her Retainer

Prolouge

Brigid is crowned princess of the kingdom of Iliac and the only child of the current king and queen. Her kingdom was lavish and and many people were happy here. In her spare time she would go out into the kingdom and fight off monsters and bandits terriozing her people. She’s been doing this since she was young and has earned her the title of Warrior Princess. Many people including her parents are worried about her being kidnapped or killed but she assures them that she would be fine. One night, after a long day of keeping her people safe, she was on her way to bed when she heard noises coming from the family treasure vault. She crept up to the door and slowly slid her way inside in hopes of catching whoever was rummaging through her family’s treasur. Spear in hand, she found a young, good looking man stuffing as much gold and jewels as his pockets and sack could carry.

“Halt thief! Show me your hands!” Brigid yelled

The thief froze and dropped whatever was in his hands at the time and slowly raised his hands.

“I’m crowned princess of Iliac, Brigid. State your name.” she said.

“My name is Argus.” he said. “Whats someone like you doing up so late princess?”

“Whats someone like you doing in the royal treasure vault?” she asked.

Argus laughed, “That should be pretty obvious should it not? To fill my pockets with riches.” he answered.

“How’d you get past the guards?” she asked.

“Through a gap in the castle walls behind some bushes over at the training grounds.” he replied

‘Oh dang I though that would be well hidden’ Brigid thought to herself. It was accident that happened while she was training and she never told anyone because she thought no one would notice. She shook her head, “That doesn’t explain the guards patrolling inside the castle.”

“Oh those, well, a few of them I was able to slip past without them seeing me while others…” He lowered one of his hands and drew a line across his neck with his thumb. “Wasn’t really that hard to be honest.” he said

“I see, well either way you’re going to have to come with me.” Brigid said.

Argus replied, “That won’t be happening princess. I know what’ll happen if I do and I kinda like having my head attached to my body so thanks for the offer but I gotta go. And if you don’t let me go I’m going to have to kill you to leave.”

Argus through a dagger at Brigid and it sliced her arm, it caught her off guard. He closed the short distance in no time and had another dagger brandished and ready to kill. Brigid rolled out of the way and counterattacked with her own weapon. Argus easily doged it and again was very close to hitting Iris. She proteced herself with her spear but the force of the hit caused her to lose her grip on it and it went flying out of her reach.

‘This guy is stronger than he looks. Quick and nimble too.’ She thought.

But she didn’t have time to think long before Argus was right in front of her again. Brigid took her own dagger from her scabbard and deflected it before going for a strike. Argus jumped out of the way but she was able to cut his leg causing him to wince a little. He smiled as he realized that the title of Warrior Princess made since for Brigid. He threw another dagger but Brigid was ready this time and deflected it with her dagger. The two traded blows a few more times, both of them were getting tired and were breathing heavily. 

“This has been fun princess but I really need to get going, all this commotion must’ve woken others up and I’d be outnumbered easily.” Argus said.

He was ready for one final strike, one that would be fatal to Brigid. Brigid stanced herself to prepare for what was coming. In the blink of an eye he closed the distance between them aiming for her stomach. Brigid deflected it but her dagger went flying. Without wasting anytime Argus attacked again. Brigid quickly grabbed his wrist and delivered one of the hardest punches she’s ever thrown right into his jaw. Argus was surprised and lost his balance. He fell down in pain and in shock for what he received. Brigid grabbed her spear off the ground and held it an inch away from his neck.

Argus gave a weak chuckle, “Heh, good job princess. I must say this beats being held in a prison for months before being executed in front of a crowd.” 

Brigid, who was breathing heavily, just looked at him. This man gave her one of the toughest battles she’s ever had. She’s impressed with his skill. This is the closes someone has gotten to actually killing her since she was a young girl. He would’ve been a good retainer had life led him down an alternate path. Wait a minute… this gave Brigid an idea. What if she DID make him one of her retainers? Her previous two retainers were killed in a recent battle and she didn’t have anyone to watch her back at the moment. This would be good for both of them. She would have a companion and Argus would get pay since that’s why he was in the treasure vault in the first place, with benefits of course. But would her father allow it? Woud Argus accept it? Would it  be a good idea? What if he backstabs her? What if-

Argus coughed interrupting her thoughts, “If you’re going to kill me could you just get it over with?”

Brigid looked at him and lowered her spear. Argus just looked at her, confused and tired.

“How would you like to be one of my retainers?”

This piece came to me in a dream

Anno82 GOLD said...
on Jan. 10 at 5:40 pm
Anno82 GOLD, Austin, Texas

“Peace doesn't come from finding a lake with no storms. It comes from having Jesus in the boat." -John Ortberg
"God doesn't break things so He can fix them; He fixes broken things so He can use them." -Bob Goff
"Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?" -Corrie Ten Boom

This is pretty cool! Good job!