The Great Catch | Teen Ink

The Great Catch

In the small town of Osceola, there's a mysterious lake that lies in the middle of the woods and very few people know about it. Jake, a local kid, found this lake and had always been drawn to the mysteries of the deep waters and the tales of legendary creatures that lurked in the lake. One morning, armed with his trusty fishing rod Jake set out on a mission to catch the biggest fish of his life. As the sun began to set, casting a glow over the lake, Jake cast his line into the water. “ I hope the fish are biting today,” Jake said.

He waited patiently feeling the gentle tug hoping for a monster. Suddenly the water started to ripple and an enormous creature emerged from the depths. It was a colossal sea serpent, its scales glowing in the light. Jake's heart pondered as he realized that he had hooked a legendary sea creature. With all of his strength, he fought against the powerful fish, the thrill of the battle coursing through his veins with the hope of not losing the fish. As the struggle continued, another mysterious creature appeared. This time it was a mighty Kraken, its tentacles reaching out from the water. The lake turned into a battleground as Jake found himself caught between the two creatures from the depths of the water. It was a battle of strength as he navigated his way through the chaos. But Jake had a secret weapon, his unwavering determination to catch the fish. He knew that the monsters, no matter how fearsome, had a weakness. With a strong cast of his line, he lured the sea serpent and the Kraken into a fierce battle for his bait. As the two creatures battled over the bait all Jake could think of was he had the opportunity to reel in the catch of a lifetime. As they fight over the bait the serpent bits onto the bait swimming out into the depths of the lake, Jake held onto the pole with the serpent almost pulling him in but he used his strength to start reeling the serpent in. “ Come on, come on,” Jake said tiredly.

As he reels in the serpent swims left and right trying to get the hook out but Jake maneuvers the serpent to keep it in. The serpent jumps out of the water showing its gigantic body, its scales glowing, and its ginormous teeth piercing from his mouth.  With the last bit of his strength he pulled the sea serpent out of the water, the creature lay there extending out twenty feet. Jake couldn't believe his eyes, the fish of his dreams was lying before him. “ What a miracle you are,” Jake said as he touched the serpent.

But Jake had no intention of harming the magnificent creature. And without anyone there to witness the magical catch Jake just made, he released the serpent back into the lake, knowing that it deserved to roam freely in its natural habitat. After watching the serpent swim off into the depths of the lake Jake packs his things for the adventure home. While walking through the woods Jake hears a giant crack from above, when he looks up he sees a giant branch falling for him. “ Oh my God,” Jake said in a scared voice.

The branch strikes him straight in the head. At home Jake wakes up, his heart racing with adrenaline when he goes to feel his head but there's nothing there, not a bump or bruise so the catch of his dreams was really a dream after all.