Chester in the wild | Teen Ink

Chester in the wild

October 16, 2023
By Anonymous

It was just another day for Chester and Caroline out in the wild.  Chester and Caroline have been fighting for their lives for years now.  Dinner is whatever comes and finds him first. His favorite is the tarantula. 

“Come here, spider!” Chester says.  He can’t wait to peel the scabs off his arms from the mosquitos to season the tarantula.  Although it tastes good, he doesn’t know what’s coming for him.  

“Oh god,” Chester says. Cholera gets the best of him, and he has to rush to a bush and let everything go.  He grabs a leaf to wipe and suddenly he has the urge to scratch.  The leaf was not what he thought it was and his butt is now infected with poison ivy immediately.  Caroline runs over to Chester wondering what all the commotion was. 

“What’s going on over here!” Caroline yells.   As she approaches she finds Chester fighting for his life in the bushes.

Although Chester doesn’t feel well after his meal of tarantula, he and Caroline decide to end the night floating in the pond as the sun set. 

“How long can you hold your breath, Chester?” Caroline ask. 

Chester shrugs his shoulders and says, “Let’s see how long I can!” Once Chester goes under, Caroline starts counting: “40, 41, 42, 43….” she says with a worried look on her face. 

“Chester?” Caroline says in a concerned tone.  Chester still doesn’t come up for a breath.  The water begins to splash and Caroline starts to hear a lot of ruckus on the other side of the pond.  Caroline whips her head around with the hope that it's Chester.

“Caroline, help!” Chester says from the other side of the pond. 

“I’m coming, hold on!” says Caroline as swims across the pond hoping that the same thing doesn’t end up happening to her.  As Caroline approaches, she notices tht the ruckus isn’t what she thinks it is.

“What is that?” she says.  Chester starts to pull all the weeds and mud off of what he has found while holding his breath. 

“It’s our way out, it just needs some fixing …” he says to Caroline with a smile on his face. 

“I was worried, I thought you had drowned,” Caroline says sternly. 

What Chester found was going to be quite the project for the two of them, but it would be their way home. “This boat needs a lot of work,” Caroline says. 

Chester rolls his eyes, “Yes, I know, but do you want to get home or not?” 

Caroline wonders if it will even be worth all the time that they put into it.  On the other hand, Chester is thinking of all of the amazing things that they could do to fix up this boat. They start to clean off the boat with what they can find in the wild. Hoping they don't run into the pile that Chester left in the bushes after his meal.

 “Caroline, I need you to go and find any thick pieces of wood that we can use to repair the bottom of this boat,” Chester says. 

With a displeasing look on her face, Caroline says “Ugh why can’t you do it?” 

Chester yells, “Do you want to get out of here or not?”  


Caroline then stomps away to go and look for the supplies that Chester sent her to find. 

Caroline returns with the wood and notices all the progress that Chester has made on the boat. “Wow, maybe this will work out.” She says.

 “We have got to get out of the wild. I can’t get sick again.” Says Chester.  Caroline starts to hand Chester the wood for the bottom of the boat as he secures them together with vines that he had found near the tree that they had been sleeping under.  They then put the platform that they made on the floor of the boat to ensure that they wouldn’t sink on the only float home, and off they went!