poundin honkers | Teen Ink

poundin honkers

On a Thursday night, I will go look for some geese to hunt over the weekend. Sometimes I will go with some buddies and other times I’ll just go by myself and find some. I’ll drive a decent way from Dresser to New Richmond, Osceola, Baldwin, Amery I’ll drive anywhere just to find some geese. If my family is doing something that day I’ll always be looking for geese in a field, the day I took my senior pictures me and my mom went to Baldwin and on the way to one spot I saw about 50 geese in a field so I went and got permission to hunt it opening weekend. 

The next weekend shows up after a Friday night game going to bed getting that 5 hours of sleep, running on an energy drink, and a breakfast sandwich. Knowing that the cooler weather is here and the north winds this weekend I have good hopes for the hunt. With north wind, the molt migrators will show up which are birds that would migrate overnight and seem to fly really high up, or higher than the local geese. I’ll always have dreams about hunting a big field with a massive decoy spread rippin' on the calls having a flagger, the birds 500 feet in the air locked up doing it in the spread, with like five other guys, and getting a limit. 

Then the season will end and all you’ll be thinking about is the hunts you went on and every weekend. And clean all your decoys and blinds, guns, and everything you used that is all dirty. Then buy a bunch of new things for the next season and watch all the late-season birds that you can’t hunt go into massive feeds. Counting down the days till you can do it all again. Me having the itch when the season gets close then start all over again. 

What I saw in front of me was my truck hood and fields and farms in the background. I turned to the right and saw a chopped corn field with some geese dumping into it, hearing the geese and my exhaust I grabbed my MTN Dew and took a sip setting that down and picking up my binos To take a closer look at some of the geese I could see. To my left was Mason, he said “Look at those geese flying over, there's some more dumping in to.” He parked behind me as we got out I said “This will be a good one to hunt, could just hide right there in the corn.” He agreed with me and started checking the geese out. There was a giant line of geese in the air, I climbed on top of my truck and pulled the binos to try to get a look and all the geese, yelling at Mason I said “We need to get perm on this right now.” After we checked out the field a little longer, we talked about permission. Mason said he was gonna get permission within the next two days. That weekend we hunted it and all the birds that were in there didn’t show up, so we didn’t even pull the trigger that morning. You’ll face challenges all the time hunting, can’t let them get to your head, you have to keep a clean mind and just move on to the next hunt. 

it's easy to write about this because its something I do all the time and am always thinking about.