Past Mind | Teen Ink

Past Mind

Running the playground and playing tag, back and forth with only two people this game went on forever; Megan never really knew her family but two deep cuts of her father are in her mind consistently, from when she was a young age. She took a shower and turned off all the lights, outside were the big swaying sassafras trees blowing viciously from the wind. The city was buzzing from just a few miles south of the apartment Megan lived at, it was a white complex and everything was strategically organized. Lying in the overtowering thoughts each passing night, always having nobody to listen or be there for her, only her two beta fish swimming around in their tank on her dresser.

.     .     . 

The gleaming rays of sunlight forced Megan awake, she got up and did her usual routine going down to get breakfast. Walking into the kitchen, she gets a warm tingling feeling, like she has deja vu. It was a tall man, about 6’3, who had a brown clean-cut beard and the same tint of green in his eyes just like Megan. Looking at this man, Megan is full of frustration, fear, and hope; Is this really who she thinks he is? If it was someone breaking in then she was sure nothing good was going to happen…

“Meg it's me, William, I’m your father,” he said slowly turning towards Megan with innocent eyes as shiny as a doe’s.

“ I- I can’t believe you’re here!” Megan was shaking while whipping her hair from her forehead, she thought she’d lost her entire family, or maybe had just been abandoned most of her life, she was so grateful to see her father standing directly in front of her. Full of joy and excitement, Megan rushed over to her father and gave him a long-lasting hug.

While William was cooking Megan breakfast she asked, “Why have I never seen you and what happened? Where have you been this entire time?”

William knew that Megan was going to ask these types of questions at some point of his arrival and said, “Well Meg, I’ve had a very difficult life with your mother, fighting back and forth for you she was hooked onto a lot of bad habits. After a while, I saw you didn’t deserve this treatment, and I moved you somewhere you’d have the best life. I know it's selfish of me to just give up I should’ve stayed there for you, but I was weak and you needed better than what your parents had for you.”

Whipping the warm rivers of tears down her face, Megan didn’t even know how to feel at all, she was so grateful her father was right beside her but she’s been waiting and wondering for so long. Not even 5 minutes later after Megan’s long silence, he surprised her with a marvelous bouquet of lilies and tiny yellow flowers that were just a shade less pale than Megan’s skin with white flowers randomly across the bouquet.. They were the most beautiful flowers Megan had ever seen in her entire life and the only bouquet she’d gotten from doubtlessly anyone.

BEEP….. BEEP….. BEEP……

It's 6 a.m. Butterflies rushed through Megan's stomach, scratching at her shagged and sweaty sheets, she was clueless as to see her dream, was truly a dream. There was not a beautiful bouquet of flowers resting on Megan's counter, or fresh bacon and eggs on the counter, everything was just a lie and she didn’t know what to do. Anxiety rising, Megan had to stay focused on school and did her usual morning routine before heading out in disbelief, her dream was just too real.

Megan didn’t know what to do but to bring back that joy in some way by going out and getting the flowers her father got her, right after her classes. Walking down the street there are two flower places one is mostly filled with fake flowers and is named Mosiac Floral, the other with the beautiful tan-shaded flowers she remembered last night along with plenty of other beautiful varieties of flowers. Walking into the store she picked because of her memories, not even 10 minutes later, she heard fire alarms going off and instinctively Megan looked up in fear right away. She was walking towards the sound, getting closer and closer, and then she saw a big flash of light that rose possibly 20 feet high. The Mosiacc Floral had electrical damage and reacted to open water, having a 17-foot fire, killing 17 people in and around the shop.

I've decided to do a free minded story and create something of a girls dream saving her life the next day, in just a short novel-like form.