Nut Story | Teen Ink

Nut Story

Once upon a time, there was a boy who had a bit of a reputation for lying. Max would often lie and play pranks to his neighbors and family, which made it difficult for anyone to trust him when he really needed them to or even relax.

One day, Max came home from school and noticed that something was off. His front door was slightly open, and there were signs someone had  forced their entry inside.  Max's heart raced as he realized that his house was being robbed. 

He quickly dialed 911, hoping that the police would arrive soon. However, when he told the operator what had happened, they didn't believe him. Max's reputation for lying had preceded him, and the operator thought that this was just another one of his tall tales.

Feeling frustrated and helpless, he hid. After a long conversation with himself hiding, Max decided to take matters into his own hands. He snuck around the house, trying to find the intruders without being detected. As he crept through the living room, he heard the sound of footsteps coming from the kitchen.

He peeked around the corner and saw two men rummaging through his cabinets. His heart pounded in his chest as he realized that he was outnumbered and outmatched.

But he didn't give up. Max remembered the self-defense lessons his dad had taught him and decided to use them. He picked up a nearby broomstick and crept up behind the intruders. In one swift motion, he picked up the intruder and slammed him. Stunned, he didn’t move, giving Max the time to put the intruder in a position to choke him out.

Another intruder had then appeared,  turning the corner and lunging at Max, but he was ready. He dodged the attack and landed a punch to the right chin, causing him to stumble to the ground. Getting back up, he threw an uppercut to Max’s stomach then  a hook to Max’s head. Taking three steps back, Max retreats to set himself up again. He jabs then with all his might, he throws a cross straight to the intruder's nose. The man had then  realized that it was not worth the risk to stay and fight, so he helps his ally up and they fled the house. Max breathed a sigh of relief as he watched them run away.

After about half an hour the police had arrived. Max watched as the two officers reluctantly got out of the car. Surprised, they walk past the broken door. They then found the mess and blood across the living room, and this time they believed him. They praised him for his bravery and quick thinking, and Max realized that he didn't need anyone else's validation. He knew that he was capable of solving problems on his own. From that day forward, Max's reputation as a liar was a thing of the past. People saw him in a new light, as someone who was courageous and resourceful. And Max knew that he would never forget the lesson he had learned that day: that sometimes, you have to rely on yourself to solve a problem.

Its about the boy who had cried wolf.