The Military Base | Teen Ink

The Military Base

On June 15th Max and Kaila were having their evening walk with their french bulldog, Avery. They saw a street that they have never passed before and out of curiosity they decided to go down it.

“Where do you think this leads?” Max asked.

“I have no idea.” Kaila replied.

Max and Kaila live in Wales with their grandparents. Their father was in the military, but died in the last war, and their mother had died giving birth to Kaila. Max and Kaila weren’t close in age, but they looked like replicas of their parents. Max looked just like his father, brown messy hair with ice cold blue eyes. Max was also tall, and was strong even though it didn’t seem like he was. Kaila on the other hand was shorter, she had a slender build and her hair was dirty blond wavy hair that she always kept half up or in a bun.. Unlike her brother though, she had dark green, emerald like eyes.

People always mistook them as close friends instead of siblings, so they were always correcting people as time went on. They didn’t seem to mind it though, they always liked being mysterious to people, and never minded the assumptions.

As they continued walking down the street they noticed that Avery was afraid of what lies ahead. They came to a dead end and so they decided to cut through an old rundown building that looked like it was from the 1950s. They went through a door that they thought was just an exit of the building and they stumbled to find something very different.

They opened the door to find themselves on a grassy hill. Ahead of them in the near distance was an old military base. Both of them thought of the same thing and said it aloud,

“What if it’s-” Max started,

“Dad!” Kaila cried and she started running with Avery’s leash in her hand down the hill to the base in hopes of seeing her father at the door. When Max finally caught up she asked Kaila what she was doing still standing there, but then he saw him.

“Da-dad,” Max said. His face was expressionless because he was shocked and thought that he would never see his father in real life again. Their dad hugged them both and explained that he had been trapped in here for quite some time. He was trying to get in contact with anyone from the real world and that he was so grateful that he was able to contact his kids out of all people.