Unknown | Teen Ink

Unknown

As I awoke, I found a pile of human bones laying charred and broken in front of me. They had been gnawed and stripped of all flesh. Nice, fresh, not quite tough but almost. The muscle and sinew had been extracted from the remains of these unfortunate humans. Stupid humans. They continued to come into my cave while trying to snuff out my life force, and then steal an important family heirloom. Moon Jewel, a sword more powerful than that of the mighty,not to say legendary, Excaliburn. It was crafted by one of the greatest blacksmiths known to man as a gift to my great grandfather Red Scales the Terrifying after he saved the kingdom from invaders. The same kingdom whose men were now trying to steal it foolishly thinking it to be theirs. I would never allow it. But I would not willingly bring harm to any human unless it attempted to hurt me or steal the sword. My name is Late Dawn the wise, and this is my tale.

To begin, I was the first in my family to be born with midnight blue, arrow pointed scales that were almost invulnerable. My scales were even harder than that of the humans strongest metal Yrithium. Before  I was a fledgeling, I had mastered all human dialects. I was also very gifted in combat. I could pin down a full grown dragonguard ( protectors of the king of dragons) when I was only 150 years old. I could breathe fire over 100 meters without a change in consistency whatsoever. I was signed up to be in the Dragonguard, but then my father died and I was put in charge of  my family’s ownings, including  Moon Jewel. I have been here for the last 300 years. I have not seen the outside world due to the continuous attacks on my home by humans. 

All of that changed the day I turned 329. A human came into my cave, but not gilded in armor and weapons. In fact he was carrying a white flag which from past experiences I knew to be a symbol of surrender or peace. Then he called out to me,”Oh Late Dawn the wise, My name is Samuel Foramir, and I come in need of assistance.” “ I am the heir to the throne, but many do not believe me to be capable of protecting or leading the kingdom. I ask for your knowledge. And if you help me, I will assure you that no one will ever try to take the mighty Moon Jewel from your family ever again.” Finally, I could visit my kind and get a wife, Have children and be happy.” But I also ask that you allow me to use you as a mount. “The human then said. ”This I will allow,” I replied to Samuel soon to be king of the humans. “ Thank you, oh mighty dragon for your gracious gift to me.” And all of a sudden Samuel grabbed Moon Jewel and got on my back. “ YOU LYING HUMAN,” I roared at the top of my massive lungs. “ No, no, no I wasn’t going to keep it, I was going to use it in battle upon your back so that it may never leave your possession. “OH ok next time let me know first.”

And after that, we rode off into the sky to get his man the kingdom back. On our way there we ran into a group of raiders that wanted to take Moon Jewel from us. I ate them whole. But as their cries of terror rang through the valley, the army came to see what was going on. But many of them were fearful of why the cries were being made. At the same time many of them deserted their posts to escape from the horrible fate that might have awaited them when they descended upon us. But when the remnants of the battalion arrived, they saw the soon to be king on my back, they screamed in fear,  and went back the way they came. But we had to get to the kingdom, we were about twenty leagues away from the main gate of the castle. I saw it before we arrived, and it was absolutely beautiful. The turrets were easily fifty meters tall, the drawbridge was a good fifteen meters although it looked almost abandoned. “ People must have left the castle after I came to get you, thinking that I was going to die.” 

But when we went down we were greeted by the staff, they were extremely hostile towards me, but they eventually warmed up to me and stopped trying to kill me after a while. But They always seemed to be a little fearful of me, as they should be, and avoided me whenever it was possible. I felt as though I was a child again. I was being coddled for the abilities that I possessed that others didn’t. But this would end differently. I would be happy if it meant my end.

Eventually people wanted to come and see me. The rich, poor, even the servants wanted to be around me to hear my tales. Most of them were false as you can imagine. But just many of them were true as well. I told the true account of what happened to my grandfather and how he saved them. I also taught them about how Moon Jewel belonged to me and my family. Many were outraged at first but when I explained it they came to their senses. I also became more and more comfortable around the humans. But I was always wary of them, because they had a tendency to kill my kind in the past. And as I previously stated they weren’t exactly happy that I was around. 

I was never truly open with the humans for the simple fact that they hadn’t earned my trust. And to my surprise, I was not used as a means of war like I was expecting, as a matter of fact, I was used more as a translator. When a nation of a different dialect came to us to join or threaten, I was called in to translate what they had said so that the king could then make a decision. But when worst came to worst, I was always ready for a fight. Whether it be against another dragon or  an army. I was capable of taking down an entire battalion by myself. I was feared by other nations and respected by our own. They eventually let me leave to find a spouse. And find one I did. She had bright crimson, almost blood red, scales that reflected the sunlight so well that I thought she was a spirit. When I found her she was being attacked by a bunch of raiders who wanted to sell her scales to be made into armor. 

As I approached, they saw me and ran in terror, they ran because they had heard the stories of how I had taken down some of the most powerful men in the world. After they ran I went to check and see if she was ok. She was bleeding and in pain, but I was able to get her to a doctor back in my kingdom, and he managed to heal her.  On the way to the kingdom, she had passed out from blood loss. But when she awoke and saw me, she tried to attack me. I leapt away from her sharpened teeth and said to her, “ It’s ok, I’m not going to hurt you, I saved you from those humans. They were trying to kill you” And she replied,” No really? I couldn’t tell by the amount of blood that was coming out of my body. But thank you anyway.” I said,” You’re welcome. What might your name be if I might ask?” She said,” My name is Hothu I was on my way to find a mate when I was attacked by those foolish humans. By the way, what did you do to them? Did you kill them? Did you let them go? Please say that you let them go.” “ Why would you have wanted me to let them go? They almost killed you.” “ I have a deep love for humans. They are an absolute disgrace of a species and I like to investigate how they are still around. I believe that if we learn their secret , we can expand our own race and make our lives better.” And then she went unconscious again from stressing herself too much. 

When she woke up again, I asked her” you said that you are looking for a mate right?”    “Yes” she said “ Why are you looking for one as well?” “As a matter of fact, I was when I found you. I was wondering if you would give me a chance?” “Sure, I don’t see why not. But I agree with the humans and if I don’t love you like the humans love their mates, I will not stay with you.”” I was hoping you would say that, because I believe the same thing. I am the advisor to the king of this place, so you can study humans as you please, just don’t harm them please, I don’t want to deal with the king on that .” We both laughed. I had already figured out that I loved her, But I wasn’t quite sure how she felt about me yet. But I had high hopes for the future with her around.

But as I had thought, she was perfect, she was kind and beautiful, she interacted with the humans well. They seemed to like her almost more than me, but within a year we had been married according to the human’s culture which stated that we were to never separate. But we both loved one another and we made a great couple as the humans repeatedly told us. I continued My helping of the king, And he seemed to have no problems with my new wife. I would have made fun of him if he had been against her as he had more than twenty wives. But that was not my problem. One night Hothu came up to me and asked,” would you like to have a child?”  “ uh...Um...buh…uh...heh...umm”   “ If not, you can just say no, it doesn’t matter to me but I was wondering earlier today.” “ Oh ok, I guess if you’re okay with it.” That night we conceived our first child together. 

When she laid the egg that would become our child, It was a beautiful purple that was almost as dark as amethyst with highlights that were very similar to that of aquamarine.  Then three months later, the child was born, it was a girl. Her scales were marbled between the purple and blue of her egg. She was the most beautiful dragon I had ever seen except for my wife of course. We decided to name her Farma. We thought that this naem was the most suitable name we could come up with together. The citizens congratulated us and the king blessed the child himself which he rarely did. When he did he said,” This is the least I could do for you old friend.” And he gave me a year off  to spend with my daughter. She had gotten my aptitude for fighting  and her mother’s curiosity. She would always try to get out of her pen and eat the human’s livestock. When they first came to us with a complaint we were very confused. She had never shown any interest in eating animals. As a matter of fact she usually steered away from them. But when confronted with cruelty, she would try to defuse the situation first. But if worse came to worst she had inherited my ability in combat and would pin almost anyone who tried to stop her. 

She was also as intelligent as me,she knew how to speak human at a very early age and would talk with the humans when they had time, and they enjoyed speaking with her.

This is the begining of a story that I had to write for a project at school. But it is unfinished and I plan to continue writing the story as well as coming up with an actual title for it.