Live Freely | Teen Ink

Live Freely

By Flora626 GOLD, New City, New York
Flora626 GOLD, New City, New York

"Stop pitying yourself. Pity yourself, and life becomes an endless nightmare."~Osamu Dazai

“One more cup is all I need...”

“No idiot! Go to frickin bed already!”

“Crime waits for no one!”

“Crime is gonna kick your a** if you don’t go the f*ck to sleep.”

“Fine…” I resigned as I shut the laptop for the night. 2 AM.

More like early morning, I thought as I rubbed a hand over my face. Spade was already rearranging the scattered files on my desk along with the third cup of coffee for the night. Gosh, I’m so lucky to be blessed with this angel/devil incarnate of a partner. I probably would’ve been found dead at the bottom of our staircase covered in boiling ramen water if it weren’t for him.

“Oh, by the way, don’t forget we have a case at the northern border at 12. We can’t afford to be late again unless you want the Director to dump your lifeless body into the Hudson.” Spade remarked as he placed the Hershey kiss mug into the sink and went to turn off the desk lamp.

“Duly noted.” I mutter on the way to my bedroom. I wouldn’t get much sleep, I knew that. Today was her anniversary, something I wouldn’t dare forget, but resented all the same because it was a constant reminder. A constant reminder of our failure. My failure.

I wished Spade good night and silently shut the door. The twinkles in the night winked at me as I peeked out the window to look at my beloved city. A city of precious memories. The view was mellow yet lively as cars silently crossed the bridge and crickets chattered.

I had to protect this city. No, we had to; I wasn’t alone anymore. Natalie would’ve been proud. She’d love to wander around the city trying dimsum dumplings and eating Italian gelato until her feet screamed for mercy. She would’ve loved to finally see a place where anyone, regardless of background, could come together and coexist.

All the more reason to protect. I guess three hours of sleep was better than nothing.

We left the house at ten to catch the monorail to the northern border. Spade bought some beef empanadas at the corner shop near the entrance before we left. He may act like he didn’t care, but Spade had his own way to express his subtle concerns and offer comfort. Turns out a taste of home was all I needed to hype myself up for the day. What would you do without him?, I wondered as I finished off my second empanada. If there’s one thing I’m grateful for, it’s having the opportunity to be introduced to the wonder of Dominican food.

As I fantasized having a chilled papaya shake Spade tugged at my arm and led me out the monorail to the bustling city. Food carts ranging from italian ice to halal food dotted the streets as pedestrians with sun hats wandered around to view the various assortment of silk garments and floral flip flops. Two old men played chinese checkers on a nearby patio and pair of children zoomed past on their bicycles. I could never really get used to this sight. Aromas of loving meals, the high pitched squeals of kids playing, and the sight of a unified yet diverse community.

I’d do anything to keep this. Whatever it takes, I thought to myself as Spade and I made our way to the northern border.

“ID please.”, the burly officer asked before we could enter the scene.

He seemed pretty pissed off by the way his soulless eyes twitched and gorilla arms crossed his chest. The gorilla tapped his foot repeatedly as if he were dealing with two annoying kids who wouldn’t get off his case so that he could eat his chocolate covered banana in peace.

Spade was not amused as he muttered, “This Donkey Kong lookin a** thinks he’s the sh*t.”

I discreetly kicked Spade in the shin as if to say, “Watch your language before I wash your mouth with Irish Spring.”

“Here you go officer.” I said as I pulled out both our cards to show to the man.

The gorilla was clearly shocked to see that we did in fact have authorization to enter the scene. His eyebrows seemed to have raised higher and higher into his nonexistent hairline as he read the words: Neutral City Detective/Mediator.

Spade let out a humph as he snatched the cards from the dazed officer and took my hand as he dragged me to the scene. It wasn’t the worst display of an organization dispute gone terribly wrong. But it most certainly wasn’t a pleasant sight either.

Not only five steps into the alley, we already sighted a scarlet trail which led to a string of corpses. Fourteen casualties. Seven of the bodies were practically charcol, save for a few glimpses of tanned skin. The remaining seven were impaled with various pieces of metal, from bullets to sharp needles.

“That makes it the third time this month. It’s not even marketing season, can’t these idiots resolve anything without violence?” Spade said irritatingly.

You’re one to talk, I wanted to say, but instead I replied, “This has gone on long enough. I suppose it’s time to pay her a visit.”

“A visit?” Spade said as he raised his eyebrows skeptically.

“Yes a visit. She’ll listen, I know she will.”

“Peace talks can be all sunshine and rainbows but you never know when shiz is gonna hit the fan.”

“That’s what I have you for.” I quipped as I pat Spade on the head.

“I’m not a kid…” Spade said under his breath as he watched me make a quick prayer before we left the scene. Today would be longer than I thought.

An hour and a half later we finally arrive at the Phoenix Corps headquarters a bit outside the northern border. The guards held spears adorned with scarlet feathers. They wore practical loose crimson garments adorned with a spanish flair. Spade always admired the Phoenixes for their warrior like style. Physical strength, exotic beauty, endless confidence and fiery determination. Once a fragmented group on the brink of destruction, but instead was lifted from the ashes by La Reina Fénix.

Once I announced my name I was immediately granted access. The doors opened to a young lady with her wooden sandals propped on her desk. The best way to describe the Phoenix Queen would be a hispanic amazonian princess. Her gray eyes stared at me with amusement as if I sauntered in with a mexican sombrero.

“Let’s cut to the chase. Call back your Phoenix members from the alleyways of Neutral City and conduct your dealings with the Shadow Assembly like civilized people. We haven’t had bloodshed like this for a while and I don’t plan on it starting up again now.” I exclaimed as I stared right back at my once fiery, yet beloved cousin.

“Even if I did, do you really think you can put a stop to this ongoing feud? Both sides are getting impatient Cartier; and no matter what you do, it’s only a matter of time until the Phoenixes and Shadows ignite a full blown war. Our differences can’t coexist. Your idealistic views will only spawn more hatred.” the queen exclaimed with her piercing gun metal gaze.

“Out of the city streets Cassandra, that’s all I ask. Each step is worth it, even if our fate is bathed in crimson. It’s the least you can do for your sister. It’s the least we can do for Natalie.”

Cassandra’s gaze darkneed with grief for a split second until she resigned with a sigh.

“Thank you, Cassandra.” I softly said as I turned to depart the room with Spade in tow.

It was 6 PM by the time I finished writing the report to send to the city center. It took another hour to write and send a letter to my sister demanding her cooperation to keep her gang out the city streets as well. Ever since she became leader of the Shadow Assembly, Ayanna was practically a stranger. She refused to acknowledge me in any way, but that was okay. I knew she’d listen to me anyway. She always does.

As we drank green tea and ate vanilla swiss roll cakes on the balcony to watch the sun set, Spade asked, “Do you miss it?”

A gentle breath of nature carried a blush colored blossom petal to land like a ballerina in my tea as I answered, “Sometimes.”

Sometimes, I miss playing dominoes with them on the kitchen floor. Sometimes, I miss the cookouts my grandpa would hold every Fourth of July. Sometimes, I break down weeping at the loss of the three most important people in my life: my sister and two cousins.

But then I remember what Natalie said, “I know at times you feel torn between both sides of your heritage. Shadow and Phoenix. African American and Dominican. It doesn’t matter. Live freely Cartier. Only by being your own American can we truly save this country.”