Alone and Trapped | Teen Ink

Alone and Trapped

May 1, 2019
By Hibahk123 SILVER, New City, New York
Hibahk123 SILVER, New City, New York
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was an early Saturday morning, while Sarah was sitting at her desk working on her latest piece of work. She was writing about a traveler who survives a plane crash and was trying to get back home. The story was almost done, but she just had to add some finishing touches. Sarah was a very creative freshman who adored writing and wasn’t like an average teen. She would always have great ideas and write some books or stories. She spent most of her time in front of her laptop, clicking and tapping as new ideas popped up. All that hard work would be worth it, because she would publish her work online, and had thousands of readers who gave her positive feedback. Life was great for Sarah, in school, at home, and online. She also participated in track, and was a very strong runner. She was trying to come up with a title for her story but couldn’t think of anything. She had been working on this story all night, because she was entering a writing contest, and wanted the story to be perfect. It was due in two hours so Sarah decided to take a short nap. Before she could get into bed, she rested her head on the keyboard and slept.

The wind was howling and the airplane was beeping really loudly; dark, gray, angry clouds dropped heavy droplets. As a sleepy Sarah woke up, screams and shrieks came from the passengers. Waking up to people screaming, and the plane spinning, Sarah thought that she was going to die. She thought that this was all a dream, since she was asleep a few seconds ago. Small kids were crying, holding to their moms, and everyone was staring at Sarah, who was quietly sitting in her seat. Inside, she was terrified and confused about everything that was happening. A few minutes ago she was in her room sleeping, and now she was in a falling plane. Sarah finally accepted that this was actually happening and she couldn’t just sit around.  

The plane crashed with a boom in the grassy forest. Sarah opened her eyes and saw that she was the only one who had survived. She looked around and there was no one there. She sat there, sobbing her heart out, remembering the people she had seen on the plane and how they were gone. She decided that sobbing wouldn’t do any good, and if she wanted to go back home somehow, she needed to start looking. She walked around the forest, and a strange feeling of deja vu appeared. She viewed her surroundings, and saw that this was the exact same setting she was writing in her book. Frightened and nervous, as she still couldn’t believe that this was happening. When droplets of rain started falling, all the anxiety caused her to faint

Sarah woke up to find herself soaking wet, and a growling sound coming towards her. Startled, she got up and ran as fast as she could. Each time she would look back, a vicious looking jaguar would be chasing her. She needed to run faster and in her mind she imagined that she was in a race. She imagined herself in track running from the fastest person in the world, Usain Bolt. She needed to win this race to be the best of the bestest. One thing that puzzled Sarah was that, (in reality) the jaguar could have outrun her, but here, he didn’t. This led her to the conclusion that she had special abilities in this trapped rainforest. She deduced that she could run fast, and when she jumped, it was so high that she sat up on a high branch on the tree. Sarah realized that all the skills required to for track and field were now things Sarah could do. Knowing this gave Sarah a little hope that she might survive and get home.

The jaguar saw Sarah up in the trees and gave up. He trembled back, panting, and scurried away. Sarah knew that she had to find some sort of help. She went back to the crashed plane and tried to contact anyone, but got no responses. She started to get hungry and realized that it wouldn’t be too long until more animals found her. She looked around in the airplane and saw that there was barely any food, maybe only two days. She decided to eat crackers and save some food, since she didn’t know how long she would be trapped there. Sarah decided to do the one thing that calmed her: writing. Somehow, despite her surroundings, she felt peaceful as she started writing. She wrote about going back home and about her loving parents. She was always close to her family and friends, and remembering them made her cry. She wished she could be home, sitting with a cup of hot chocolate near the fireplace curled up, but instead, she was sitting on a crashed plane with dead people around her, writing about her life. Sarah realized that there was no hope, and fell asleep with her head on the paper.

The ground started to shake, and Sarah woke up, surprised, and she screamed. She opened her eyes and saw her mom in front of her, shaking her. Her mom told her that five hours had passed by and Sarah had been sleeping the entire time. Sarah didn’t know what to believe. Was the whole rainforest thing just a dream? Clueless, she looked at the computer screen with the word “earthquake.” She became aware of the fact that she had actually, somehow, traveled into her story, and back to the normal world. Because nothing was written after the word earthquake, Sarah woke up to reality. Sarah was scared to finish the story and decided to delete it. She was fearful that she might go into that world again, and this time, she might die. She dragged the story into the trash can, and suddenly Sarah disappeared. The chair spun and she was gone. When her mom walked in again, Sarah was missing. Sarah had made a mistake by deleting her story, because now she was deleted, too.