The Forgotten Alley | Teen Ink

The Forgotten Alley

November 1, 2018
By K_A_Barlow BRONZE, Springville, Utah
K_A_Barlow BRONZE, Springville, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We could all use a little more weird in our lives”


The bitter cold licked at my face as I leaned against the tavern wall under the cover of the ally’s shadow. A sheet of clouds covered the stars, making the alley darker than normal. I pulled my cloak’s hood over my head and grabbed an arrow from the quiver on my back. I knocked the arrow but didn’t draw the string.

In order to get a clear view of the entrance I peered around the side of the tavern. The door swung open and a flood of light hit the gravel road. The smell of beer filled the air and I crinkled my cold nose.

A long shadow stretched across the ground. The door closed as fast as it had opened, but this time I saw what closed it. A tall boy in a black cloak started forward. This was the person I needed.

I hid in the shadows while he made his way down the tavern alley. With my bow still knocked I swung my leg at the boy’s feet and he fell face first to the ground. He quickly rolled over onto his back and I put my foot on his chest.

“Who are you? What do you want?” He asked me forcefully while trying to pry my foot off his chest.

“I think I’ll ask the questions here.” I said as I pointed the arrow at his chest, making sure it was clearly visible. “Who do you work for?”

“Wh-What?”

“You know what I mean!” I pulled the string back further. “Tell me who you are!”

“Who am I? I… I don’t know.” He stopped struggling and his hands fell limp. It was then I had the thought that he really didn’t know. I was no longer the only one who had forgotten. I was no longer the only one betrayed.


The author's comments:

I wrote this to practice using suspense!