University of California, Berkeley | Teen Ink

University of California, Berkeley MAG

November 16, 2017
By binkk BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
binkk BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Berkeley, CA: The University of California is located in its own little college town in Berkeley, California, which overlooks the San Francisco Bay. There are currently over 35,000 students enrolled at the University and 170 academic departments and programs offered on campus. Programs include everything from Aerospace Studies to Women’s Studies. Berkeley is known for its popular studies in Social Sciences, Engineering, Biological and Biomedical Studies, and many more. The school’s acceptance rate is only 17.5% so it is obviously extremely difficult to get accepted.


When visiting Berkeley, I found the people there to be very friendly and helpful when you need to know where to go. It sometimes felt hard to get around campus because it is so big, but the people there helped a lot. The campus has many points of interest. There is Sproul Plaza – the prime campus spot for rallies, demonstrations, “tabling,” and lunchtime speeches. It’s also a popular spot at night for concerts and festivals. The Memorial Pool honors the soldiers who lost their lives in World War II. There are plenty of other special memorials on campus as well.


The classrooms are large, and the student to teacher ratio is 17:1. There are 39 libraries on campus including the Business Library, Chemistry Library, and the Philosophy Library. Students are housed in high-rise buildings with double or triple occupency rooms. Another housing option is campus apartments. They include a eat-in kitchen and living room combo and more than one bedroom.


There are many sports and extracurricular activities for men and women including are baseball, basketball, rowing, football, gymnastics, and lacrosse.


I like this college because the people are friendly and there are plenty of things to do; you’ll never be bored. The campus is also a short commute to San Francisco, and there’s plenty to do there also. The people on campus are diverse. People of all kinds of races and religions attend Berkeley which gives you the opportunity to meet more people and be educated on things you might’ve not known too much about. The only thing I disliked was how I got lost easily and couldn’t walk to most places because the campus is so large. However, all kinds of students would be comfortable there, because it’s a school for everyone – there is so much diversity.


The University of California, Berkeley is a beautiful place and an overall amazing college. I highly recommend this school because of the breathtaking scenery, top-notch academics, and the fact that it’s so diverse you don’t have to worry about not fitting in.