College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

February 12, 2015
By kmd98 BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
kmd98 BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"hey."


Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?

 

I came into the 11th grade as a hotshot. I thought I knew what I was going to learn. I thought I was ready for this year and possibly ready for what I need to do after high school. Weeks went by as I sat in ACT Prep class, thinking “oh I won’t learn from this” or “what do I need from this?” I blew it off until one day we had to decide what we wanted to do as a profession, where we would want to go to college, and how would we pay for it. I began to think real hard, not knowing what I was going to do after high school, what college I was going to go to, and even how I was going to succeed. I began to have anxiety attacks and I felt like a failure because I didn’t know what I wanted for my future. Each day got worse and worse. My parents aren’t in a great financial state, they wouldn’t be able to pay for my college tuition; at least not all of it. At this time I hit my rock bottom. I began to talk to my friends, family, significant others, and teachers. I wanted to know what they did in highschool and what they thought of. I wanted to know if they had everything planned out. I learned that most of the adults didn’t even know what they wanted to be when they went into college, and my friends on the other hand haven’t even thought about a week from now. I wanted to do what I thought was best for me and that was to decide what I wanted to do after I graduate from highschool. I spent hours, late nights, and even family gatherings deciding what I want to do after high school. I want to graduate from highschool and enlist myself into the Air Force, and go to college. I then want to take on college and get my Masters/PhD under ‘Health and Medicine Technologies.’ I thought real hard on what I wanted to have as a job and that is to be a Radiologist, it amazes me to be able to look through and x-ray or any machine into a persons body, and be able to determine what is wrong with them. Even if you face hardships in your life that put you down. Don’t give up, look foward, and think positive.


The author's comments:

ACT Prep Class