New School | Teen Ink

New School

September 1, 2007
By Anonymous

Ardrey Kell. Those two words, synonymous with new school,Ó made my stomach turn. Switching schools, in the middle of high school, was a nightmare. But in one of the nationÕs fastest growing cities, Charlotte, North Carolina, I had no choice. New schools were being hastily scraped together everywhere, and I was re-zoned to a new school. After two years of establishing my leadership and participation roles at Providence High School, I would have to make new friends, meet new teachers, and, worst of all, join new clubs and activities at Ardrey Kell. Suffice to say, I was not too thrilled at the prospect of changing schools. I had learned to love my old school. I loved everything about it, from the black and gold school colors to the panther mascot. And I was trading in all my school pride for a purple knight, the trademark of my new high school. When I first walked into the front hall of Ardrey Kell on August 26, 2006, I looked at the garishly gleaming walls of clashing color palettes, took note of the countless suits of armor lined up against the walls, and I realized I had no hope. None at all. And rightly so. All the clubs and extracurricular activities that I had been involved in at Providence, such as Spanish Club, Key Club, and marching band, did not exist. All the leadership positions I had worked so hard to attain over the past two years meant nothing here, at my new purple prison. Frustrated, I moaned and groaned for about a week. Finally, it dawned on me. An epiphany of sorts, I realized that I had two choices: I could complain and ruin my last two years of high school, or I could embrace my new situation and try to enjoy my time at Ardrey Kell. I decided to choose the latter. I took the initiative and started talking to teachers and administrators about my ideas for the school. With the help of my Spanish teacher, I established the Ardrey Kell Spanish Club. I laid the groundwork for a club constitution, basing it loosely on the constitution of the club I had left behind at Providence. I worked with my club advisor and set up a tutoring program to help students who needed personal help learn the curriculum. I spoke to my band director, and he worked to help establish a marching bandÓ of sorts, a pep band to play at football games. I joined the Interclub Council, as a club representative, and helped Ardrey KellÕs own mini-UN organization change school policies. At the same time, other students were embracing the new school and working to create more clubs and extracurricular activities. A Key Club was founded, as well as an Interact Club and a Mu Alpha Theta. Almost everything I had left behind at my old high school was replaced with a new, improved version at this new school. Suddenly, my purple prisonÓ did not seem quite as jail-like. By making my voice heard, I was able to establish programs that improved and expanded the school. I was able to effect change, a power I had never before held.