Values | Teen Ink

Values

March 11, 2010
By Anonymous

As I write this essay, which will essentially lead me to the next chapter in my life’s destination, I can’t help but think of my sister Megan; who has Cerebral Palsy and is cognitively delayed. She has affected my life in immeasurable ways. Instead of writing about what I have learned, I will write about how she has taught me. Helen Keller once said, "Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we are among the privileged."

I have never come to grips with this quotation more than now. I now understand that my privilege is to know Megan and have learned the irreplaceable lessons she has taught me. Patience, perseverance and self appreciation, are a few of these lessons. Megan is not able to communicate through speech, in order to communicate with her I have had to learn sign language. We have to be patient with her just as she uses a great amount of patience with us. My sister perseveres like no other. If at first she is not understood she keeps trying until she is. Because of Megan I have applied perseverance in my life and become a better student and person. For the last four years I have played high school football. During the first three years I was strictly a second team player. I practiced hard every day and did not waver. All this work paid off in my senior year as I gained a starting spot on defense and all of special teams. I owe that playing time to Meg.
Megan has shown me one of the greatest attributes in life, appreciation. While she was not dealt the best hand, she loves everything life gives her. Whatever situation comes my way I make the best of it, just like Meg does. I am thankful for everything in my life big or small.
An epiphany came to me at the end of my junior year of high school. I was not trying my hardest in school I knew I had to start giving a better effort towards my education. With this in mind, I scheduled my senior classes. I am currently challenging myself with the most rigorous schedule and curriculum I can, including a full day of Honors/AP classes. In addition to this my G.P.A has steadily increased from a 2.0 to a 3.0 and I intend to raise it even higher upon completing my senior year.
I have always had a love for history and sports. My goal is to teach and coach in a Chicago Public School, I feel this experience would be very rewarding because I could make a big difference in students' lives. I’m also considering using my experience and knowledge with Megan by applying it towards teaching special education.

I realize that when I leave for school in August I will be leaving Megan behind, but I am dedicating all of my effort in college to her. Her resolve has motivated me to achieve success.
I am confident that being a student at Ball State will help me to reach my goals. With its reputation of providing a phenomenal education for all its students but specifically their education majors, attending Ball State would be an exceptional opportunity. Thank you for your time and consideration in reading this essay. I hope I have shed some light on myself both personally and academically.

Yours truly