A New Friend and Perspective | Teen Ink

A New Friend and Perspective

I picked up the phone, slowly dialing the number to her house. All I could think was, What could we possibly have a conversation about? Nothing! I didn’t think I could have anything in common with someone who is 50 years older than me.
“Your grandmother won’t be around forever,” my mom said. So I just did what she told me and painfully called my grandmother. What I didn’t know was that phone call would change my perspective on life and my grandmother.

When she answered the phone, I planned to have a small, 10-minute exchange and be done. Instead, she invited me to lunch so we could catch up. Hesitantly, I replied with a, “That sounds great.”
When I hung up the phone, I immediately regretted agreeing to the lunch date. How was I going to fit this into my busy schedule of homework, lacrosse, and friends? There was no way of getting around the lunch date with my grandmother at The Olive Garden at 11:30a.m. It was not my ideal Saturday, but I sucked it up and went anyway. Me and my grandmother… nothing to talk about.

Surprisingly, my Saturday morning wasn’t agonizing. I hadn’t seen my grandmother for a few months and surprisingly, it was nice to see her. I lost track of time listening about her recent trip to Europe and how she saw the renowned Eiffel Tower. She told me stories about her sewing class and the latest gossip on her friend Sherry and her new boyfriend. I wasn’t aware that 60 year-old people had a social life. It turned out that her life wasn’t as mundane as I thought. For once, I was content without friends, without my cell phone, and without my iPod. We planned to meet again at her house. This time, my mom didn’t have to beg me.

This time, as I drove to meet her, I didn’t feel the gloom of last Saturday. Questions I wanted to ask were building up in my head: What was my mom like as a child? What was grandpa like? What did you do when you were my age?
As we looked through pictures, I was in awe. I had never seen, nor imagined, my grandmother as a young girl. She reminded me of myself. I learned that as humans, we share human experiences, no matter what age.
She told me about the time she and her friends snuck out and went swimming in the lake late at night.
“I was really good at not getting caught.” She laughed. I listened to the story about the first time she met my grandfather.
“You would have adored him. He was the funniest man I’d ever met.” We sorted through three shoeboxes of photographs. There was a fascinating story for each one.

Ever since that first phone call to my grandmother, we have talked at least once a week. I regret not calling her earlier. Her advice has taught me things that can’t be learned in a textbook. She taught me to be open to new things, to enjoy the simple things, and to appreciate what life has given me. I have gained a friend, a mentor, and a new perspective.

NatD said...
This is a beautiful essay!  It really encouraged me to write about a more personal situation in my life. I hadn't known what to write about for the longest time, and after  months of searching I found your essay.  Within five minutes I knew exactly what to write about. I can't thank you enough for the inspiration!

blu_jay96 BRONZE, Spring Hil, Florida

" Thug Life"

Reaching for my phone...to call my grandmother =)

LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"They say 'Life's two steps forward and one step back' - But what if I tripped and fell down the whole flight of stairs?"

Wonderful. :) You made me smile.

Benzi BRONZE said...
on Jun. 3 2010 at 10:25 am
Benzi BRONZE, Long Pond, Pennsylvania

Love All and Trust A Few.

woooooooooooow that was amazing. I'm happy it worked out for you. =]

Rez-Gnahc said...
on May. 12 2010 at 9:42 am
wow, this was simple and an easy read. i liked the story.

nowusee said...
on Apr. 20 2010 at 9:40 am
I picked up the phone, slowly turn the song at her house. All I could think was: What will we might have a conversation about? Nothing! I did not think I had nothing in common with someone 50 years older than me.
"Your grandmother will not be around forever," my mother said. So I just did what she told me and my grandmother called painful. What I did not know was that the call would change my perspective on life and my grandmother.

emo_nerd951 BRONZE, Clover, South Carolina

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." -unknown

That is amazing writing!!!  It makes me think about my life and how it could be different.  Great message!!! Keep writing!!!!

paperflowers said...
paperflowers, Imaginary, Indiana
I love olive garden!!!

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

This is a wonderful article. It brought me to tears. I miss my grandparents and never got to know them. They've been out of my life for two months and I just wish I knew that they loved me before they left.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Grandparent card means using a family member for a college essay

Cecilia Schlate, Florida, Florida
nice post while doing my <a href=" http ://www.resumesplanet .com ">professional resume writers</a>

ZombieDanceWithMe SILVER, Rockford, Illinois

“To die is nothing; but it is terrible not to live”

-Victor Hugo

my grandmothers cool so, i dont relate. but verry well written!

on Dec. 9 2009 at 9:08 am
ConstanceScott BRONZE, Marion, South Carolina
What is the grandparent card? Never heard of it.

baseball5 said...
on Oct. 26 2009 at 9:57 am
great that you have a better relashionship with your grandma

MaggieMag said...
I see what you're trying to get across but colleges really, reallllly emphasize not playing the grandparent card. Well written...but I'd try something else. Sorry!

ArleneNicole BRONZE, Porter, Texas

"You read too much!" Balbulus was always saying. But what was she to do? Without words she would die, she'd simply die.
-Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

Awesome article! I hope you got a good grade on this essay!