Perfect Day | Teen Ink

Perfect Day

By emilydong124 SILVER, Clarksville, Maryland
emilydong124 SILVER, Clarksville, Maryland

On an ordinary day, I attend school, dedicating six hours to lectures, note-taking, and completing assignments. Once I return home, I immediately dive into my homework to maintain my academic focus. Later, I shift my attention to more engaging extracurricular activities.

I work on an announcement for Future Business Leaders of America Club fundraiser and join a Zoom meeting with my research mentor to review the progress on my paper. At nighttime, I wind down by scrolling through my phone, commenting on Instagram posts, or watching YouTube videos, ranging from homemade French fry recipes to poetry meter tips.

Just before drifting off to sleep, I discovered a small, oval-shaped lump under my pillow. It's not a pea; it's a coin that promises to grant me a perfect day.

Without falling asleep, I find myself on an airplane flying over Reykjavik, Iceland. I prepare for my day in Iceland by purchasing traditional clothing, including an Icelandic Lopapeysa, a cozy wool sweater, and a warm parka.

My afternoon is pure relaxation at the Blue Lagoon, a geothermal spa. At the swim-up bar, I order a Shirley Temple, and to my surprise, Taylor Swift joins me for a conversation about her ability to conjure unique, profound ideas and create poetic lyrics.

As the day unfolds, it's time for my skydiving adventure. Excitement courses through me as I head to the airstrip, get suited up, and take off in the plane. Night falls, and I'm awestruck by the mesmerizing display of the Aurora Borealis, painting the sky with navy blues and lime green swirls. Skydiving feels liberating, and I'm unburdened by fear because it's my perfect day, and I know I won't face any harm.

Upon landing, I find myself in a field of vibrant purple lupines with a majestic waterfall as my backdrop. I'm then led to an Ice Hotel for the night, exploring the various ice rooms available for booking. Eventually, I settle into a room adorned with ice mushrooms illuminated by neon lights. Dressed in the warm wool clothes I purchased earlier, I fall asleep within the snug embrace of my insulated sleeping bag, only to awaken in my familiar bed at home.

As I lie awake, I contemplate the realization that I have control over my life, and I don't need a coin to live an extraordinary existence.