Harper Lee's purpose for including the game costume scene in chapter 28 of | Teen Ink

Harper Lee's purpose for including the game costume scene in chapter 28 of

November 7, 2022
By Anonymous

Have you ever wondered why Harper Lee included the ham scene in chapter 28 of the book “To Kill a Mockingbird”? Harper included it to finally give Boo Radley a good reputation. Boo hasn’t had the best reputation in the book, he was always made out as a bad man. People thought he was a psychopath who stabbed his dad in the leg with a pair of scissors. The book has given him a bad mysterious reputation. He was made out as a guy who never left his house and was chained up in the basement, when in reality he wasn’t. In chapter 28, they finally show that Boo is actually a good person who cares for Jem and Scout and was just misunderstood.

The purpose of the ham scene was to show that Boo isn’t actually a bad guy. He defends these kids who he doesn’t even know that well. The book supports this by stating, “Suddenly he was jerked backwards and flung on the ground, almost carrying me with him.” Boo was the one who pulled Bob back, he was the one who saved Jem and Scout from Bob. Bob attacked Jem and Scout because of their father, Atticus went against Bob in trial and he didn't like that. Boo was the one who saved the kids lives. Boo, the guy who almost everyone thinks is a horrible person, was the one who ended up saving Jem and Scout from Bob. He isn’t actually a bad person and it finally shows in this scene. 

The ham scene also shows that Boo cares for the kids. Boo didn’t know Scout or Jem personally, they didn’t know him personally either, but that didn’t stop Boo from caring about them.  The chapter helps show this by stating, “He was still leaning against the wall.”  If he didn’t care for Jem and Scout, why would he still be there? Wouldn’t he have left? If he didn’t care about either of the kids he wouldn’t have stayed there, but he did, he stayed. 

Boo was mistreated, that is proven in the ham scene. Boo was always made out as the psychopath who stabbed his dad. Which was never proven nor denied by the way, but we can see that he is a good person. He saved two kids that he knows very little about when he literally never comes out of his house. The one time he came out of his house, instead of rushing to get back to his house where he’s comfortable, he helps these kids. Chapter 28 shows this by saying, “”Somebody was staggerin’ around and pantin’ and- coughing fit to die. I thought Atticus had come to help us and had got wore out-” ''Who was it?” “Why there he is, Mr. Tate, he can tell you his name.” … “Hey, Boo.” I said.” Boo was the one who ended up saving Scout and Jem he was the whole reason neither of the kids died. He, the “psychopath” who always stayed in his house, saved two kids he barely knew. 

Harper Lee’s purpose for including the ham costume scene in chapter 28 was to show that Boo Radley isn’t a bad person, he was just misunderstood. People believed that Boo was a bad person and was a psychopath. Boo isn’t either of those, he is a good person who is just misunderstood. He actually cares for Jem and Scout. He isn’t as bad as people believed and this scene finally showed that.


The author's comments:

This is about the ham costume scene from chapter 28 of "To Kill A Mockingbird", it's about why Harper Lee even included that scene in the first place.