Strong & Passionate Heart | Teen Ink

Strong & Passionate Heart

By kai-prasad BRONZE, Sacramento, California
kai-prasad BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"I cannot teach you anything. I can only make you think." - Socrates

When someone states they are strong, do you think of mental or physical strength? I have never been one to work out, and I don’t pay attention to my abs and biceps and whatnot. So, that leaves the other option… mental strength. My name is Kai Marie Prasad, and I’ll explore how my journey to mental strength is more or less related to my passion for law. Mental health is stigmatized, which led me to not think about it that much, even though my past home life was not ideal. I would argue that even children under the age of 10 should think about how important mental health really is. My family used to joke about how I would be a fine lawyer because of my argumentative qualities. I fight for what I believe in and do not let others get to me, and that makes me who I am: strong. 

Law is a subject that I previously did not care about. Of course, I knew the basic laws, but I would say my knowledge was limited, and probably still is. As I went through my 8th grade year, I had a heightened interest in Law because of my all-time favorite game, which I still enjoy. I apply the subjects I have learned to my daily life. I like to see the world as a courtroom so I can watch what I say and act accordingly. Of course, sometimes I do act unrefined, but I consider myself a strong and responsible individual who gets things done. 

The game that started this whole love for law was Ace Attorney Trilogy. In AA Trilogy, the main character, Phoenix Wright, is a determined lawyer who fights for justice and the truth. He is very determined in the first installment of the trilogy, only becoming a lawyer to save his good friend who he hasn’t seen for years. Eventually, you learn that Phoenix tried to contact his friend, but his friend ignored him, leading him to set on becoming a defense attorney for a chance to see his friend and remind him what’s important. Although this game is a bit different from typical courtrooms (his assistants are spirit mediums and channel his main assistant’s dead sister to help), it is still an insight on how real attorneys and courtrooms work. 

In the future, I would like to become a criminal lawyer because I want to help others. There are many people who need help in this state, and I want to be the one that helps them if they don’t have anyone or can’t help themselves. My previous career choice was becoming a therapist to help people with their mental health, but once I took more of a liking to law, I changed my career choice recently. I am nearing college currently and I believe this is going to be my last decision. 

I truly believe I have worked hard to achieve my goals. In my 7th grade year, I had D’s and F’s, but last year I worked hard enough to get A’s and B’s. I think no matter who you are, you can be better than the next person if you work hard enough.

Many things inspired me to write this piece. I thought about when I was struggling in school, and how hopeless I felt. I didn't even plan on going to college because my grades were so bad. Eventually, my grandma pushed me harder than my parents ever did, and now I am an A average student who is planning on going to Sac State and then Law school. I am now ready to take on the world.